Etsy News Blog

Forum Decorum: Yo! Where’s the Lock?

The Forums show the amount of passion, insight and know-how that exist within the Etsy community.  These qualities allow for a lot of great discussion and almost always do so in ways that follow the guidelines set out for the Forums. We can’t thank you enough for that and for being such a positive, helpful community of caring people!

However, with the sheer volume of threads that are posted every day, it’s inevitable that someone will break the rules – accidentally or intentionally.  What do you do when that happens?  Your first instinct might be to settle into the reply box and type something like "Whoa!  Hold on there, buddy!  That’s against Etsy policy!"  Or instead, maybe you’ll try to psychically flag down the staff in that thread.  "Hey Admin!  Can you do something about this?"  The answer to that question is a resounding yes. But in order to do that, we’ve got to get the message from you!

An email to community@etsy.com is far more effective than calling for Admin within a problem thread. This is your direct line to the Community team. Your email will reach 4 people – that’s 300% more than the average Convo! Our first priority is to take action in the Forums as quickly as possible. We do our best to reply in a timely manner to all email, but our first response will generally be in the Forums.

With your help, we can keep the Forums a positive and productive place for everyone.  Sending an email will only take about as long as writing out a short post (like one to say that the thread should be locked).  Also, it will definitely yield a faster response from the Community team!

You can also email community@etsy.com with your ideas for the site, concerns about things happening in the community or love letters to Etsy. (We especially love the love letters, and we usually share those with the whole staff.) So, please feel free to drop us a note, and we’ll see you in the Forums!

In the Forum Decorum series, Lauren (stellaloella) and RobWhite of the Community team explain some of the finer points of cultural etiquette in Etsy’s community spaces. When something is an official site rule, we’ll be sure to link you up to the DOs and DON’Ts or Terms of Use. Simply consider these as tips for avoiding a forum faux pas.

• fernfiddlehead

fernfiddlehead says:

I've been guilty of *hollaring* "STELLA" in a thread. My apologies. I will email community next time I see something suspect. As they say on the subways here in NYC, "If you see something, say something."

7 years ago

• stellaloella Admin

stellaloella says:

Comparing the Etsy forums to the NYC subway -- hahahahaha.

7 years ago

• fernfiddlehead

fernfiddlehead says:

Terrorists are everywhere......

7 years ago

• abitabite

abitabite says:

I usually do email community... but i hae to say I have not been recently because I have not been recieving replies (for matters other than forums threads that need locking). It is really hard to believe that anything is going to happen when an email you sent almost a week ago goes unreplied. Sorry to sound bitter and jaded. Rob and Stella have always replied to me, and I admit, I have PMS!

7 years ago

• livefunky

livefunky says:

Stella and Rob for president! Thanks for being so great, as usual. :)

7 years ago

• stellaloella Admin

stellaloella says:

Sometimes emails sent to the Community team are better handled by other staff members, at which point we forward them on to the right person. Generally, we try to let you know we're doing this. Abitabite, I suspect that's what happened, but I'm going to double check right now.

7 years ago

• SalmonStreetStudio

SalmonStreetStudio says:

Thanks! And a differing opinion: sometimes a reply *isn't* necessary, just swift action to save someone from themselves (or whatever). You guys are doing great, but now I am a little scared of the NYC Subway! ; ) Am 1,000s of mile away in the rain anyway...

7 years ago

• stellaloella Admin

stellaloella says:

I rather enjoy both the Etsy Forums *and* the NYC subway. Not sure what that says about me... haha.

7 years ago

• tortillagirl

tortillagirl says:

Excellent article, and thank you. If I see another "Admin! Where are you? Lock this thread!" in the forums I'll scream. (And in the email department, I have always gotten a reply when I've written to Etsy support. ALWAYS. Even once when I stated in my message that a reply wasn't necessary.)

7 years ago

• GoTo

GoTo says:

Great article! tortillagirl--next time just link them here!

7 years ago

• SalmonStreetStudio

SalmonStreetStudio says:

maybe you like things um, *interesting* stellaloella!

7 years ago