Etsy News Blog

Forum Decorum: I’m calling you out!

No calling out – it’s the cardinal rule of the Forums. Seems like a simple rule; it’s just three words. But, uh… what exactly is calling out and why is it so bad, really?

In essence, calling out is the act of pointing to a specific person and saying something bad about that individual. It’s like standing in the schoolyard, taunting them to put up their dukes and defend themselves. It’s spreading information that can tarnish the reputation of another community member. It’s not nice, and it’s very much not in the spirit of Etsy.

The key components of a call-out are: 1) negativity or an insult, and 2) an identifiable person as the target. Let’s examine a few scenarios:

• The classic example of calling out is to mention another user by name (or link) in a negative statement. “WhateverfaceCoInc sells mass-produced junk. Whatshisname took my money and never shipped my item!” This is the most obvious method of calling out, but not the only one.
  • Posting to complain about negative or neutral feedback you gave or received is – yep, calling out. With just a few quick clicks, crafty amateur detectives can figure out exactly who you’re complaining about.
  • Ranting about what someone posted elsewhere on the Forums may be deemed calling out, if it’s easily determined who is the target of the complaint.

So why is calling out such a bad thing? One reason is because reputation is really important on Etsy for both buyers and sellers. Everyone wants to maintain a good rep to show they are trustworthy in the marketplace. (Feedback is a more appropriate space to comment on another member’s transaction rep than the Forums.) Another reason calling out is not-so-hot is that it can quickly escalate into fighting. We want to keep the Forums a positive and helpful place.

Sometimes it’s tricky not to call out another member when you’re trying to get advice about a situation. In these cases, if you really want the input of your fellow Etsians on the Forums, figure out how to phrase your question in a very general way that gives no identifiable clues. Or you might try to contact one of the sellers who has has volunteered to be an unofficial mentor and get advice via private Convo. And remember, you can always contact Support by email. Etsy’s staff is here to help!

One last scenario – what about writing in the Forums to share how much you love someone’s shop or think another person is really helpful? Is it okay to say nice things about other people, even by name? Yes, totally – and in fact, please do! We fully encourage bragging about the awesomeness of your fellow Etsians. If Etsy-love is wrong, we don’t wanna be right!

In the Forum Decorum series, Lauren (stellaloella) and RobWhite of the Community team explain some of the finer points of cultural etiquette in Etsy’s community spaces. When something is an official site rule, we’ll be sure to link you up to the DOs and DON’Ts or Terms of Use. Simply consider these as tips for avoiding a forum faux pas.

• CreativeSundries

CreativeSundries says:

Thanks for the article. Great choices for related items!!

7 years ago

• daniellexo

daniellexo says:

great article!

7 years ago

• georgiesgems

georgiesgems says:

Thank you for this. My sister had a question about something she deemed as unsuitable for Etsy and people jumped all over her. I was very upset when I read the locked thread the next day. She loves the forum, but she is embarrassed to join in again because of so many people ridiculing her question last time. I hope this helps

7 years ago

• tortillagirl

tortillagirl says:

This is an excellent article!

7 years ago

• debproductions

debproductions says:

Thanks for this article. I have never heard of the expression "calling out". Is it an American saying? I would term such behaviour as "gossip" or "rumour mongering" or "bullying". Or "flaming"? Not to be done IRL or online or anywhere. It is a shame that negativity or insults appear at all, regardless of whether the target is identifiable. We call it "whingeing" over here in Australia. So, no whingeing. Got it.

7 years ago

• FourSeasonsFragrance

FourSeasonsFragrance says:

Thanks for the great article!

7 years ago

• judysnow

judysnow says:

Very good article, thanks no one wants to be bashed it is so un-fair. This is what I love about etsy "Etsy Cares" thanks again for another great article.

7 years ago

• AliV

AliV says:

Great article! It's sad though a lot of are scared any more to post in fear of bein bashed. Hopefully that can pass over soon.

7 years ago

• ROBINDALMIRASJEWELRY

ROBINDALMIRASJEWELRY says:

Great article!!

7 years ago

• DreamsOfMay

DreamsOfMay says:

Wonderful article! Hope lots of people read it.

• busterandboo

busterandboo says:

yep! I flagged a post last night where somebody vividly and repeatedly insulted the OP. Post is still going strong.

• SewnForU

SewnForU says:

Thank you for these guidelines.... Hopefully everyone will understand that if you point one finger, there are three more pointing back. :)

• willo

willo says:

Great article. And I like the bit about saying something positive too. I've had some invaluable help from fellow Etsians.

• LaraJordanJewelry

LaraJordanJewelry says:

Thanks for the article! Love the "Related Items"

• blueshedcrafts

blueshedcrafts says:

I hope the naughty people who break the rules read this article because us goodie too shoes didn't NEED too!

• earthdream

earthdream says:

THAT ROB WHITE sure does start a lot of helpful threads! He's the coolest for sure.

• sandcookies

sandcookies says:

Robs on it like white on rice:)

• sandcookies

sandcookies says:

Sorry that was one of my student's favorite sayings when I was a high school teacher - couldn't help it:)

• BrushItOn

BrushItOn says:

Most excellent reminder to everyone... Sometimes its just too easy to get carried away when something upsetting has happened. Thanks for the helpful descriptions!!!

• moonstr

moonstr says:

super article!

• ShopRedLeaf

ShopRedLeaf says:

The related items are hilarious. Thanks for the article Rob!

• CrotchStitch

CrotchStitch says:

Having been the victim of a 'calling out' episode or two it's nice to have a reminder to others. Luckily for me I have had the backing of my lovely fellow Etsians and the 'caller out' has been made to feel ashamed.

• AMomentAMemory28

AMomentAMemory28 says:

Very informative and gotta appreciate the humor-- laughter is essential to happiness =)

• lilVinylTreasures

lilVinylTreasures says:

thanks! I love the "crafty ametuer" part :)

• boygirlboygirldesign

boygirlboygirldesign says:

Great article!!

• beckababe

beckababe says:

fabulous article!

• uniquelynancy

uniquelynancy says:

Thanks for the reminder that were are a big team and need to Support each other not fight amoungst ourselves. Getting bashed in public is very hurtful.

• MamaLovePerfume

MamaLovePerfume says:

I LOVE this policy! If you've ever spent time on just about any other Forum on the web, the nasty stuff becomes so destructive and such a waste of time.

• springcartdesigns

springcartdesigns says:

Great advice...

• PhospheneDream

PhospheneDream says:

Gasp! I did not realize how easy one can participate in this "calling out". Being new to Etsy I know better now that I have read this article. Thanks for posting it!

• WhimsicalMom

WhimsicalMom says:

Great article! Thank you so much:)

• thebeadingtree

thebeadingtree says:

Super article and I love the artwork by headexplodie that preceded the information. They both went very well together. Anyway, I hope this will help keep the forums a little calmer than it has been for a few weeks now. Great job RobWhite and stellaloella!! Y'all are the bomb!! :)

• Cathysjewels

Cathysjewels says:

Got it!

• undertheroot

undertheroot says:

yes, love the psychological breakdown/breakup of character. we need what we read! xo

• MindyG

MindyG says:

Thanks!

• tinatarnoff

tinatarnoff says:

Great article, valuable advice, but most importantly, written in such a delightful witty way! :D

• Hannypanny

Hannypanny says:

Very informative, thanks Rob!

• byAMOR

byAMOR says:

Perfectly put. thanks.

5 years ago

• expressyourself

expressyourself says:

Super article!

5 years ago

• carolforsyth

carolforsyth says:

Thank you for informative thought provoking info. Appreciate the help.

5 years ago

• Mindielee

Mindielee says:

This was very clarifying, thanks! However, recently someone told me when I was bragging about another shop that that was calling out! Glad to hear from the 'horses' mouth' that it's not only ok to do that, but welcomed!

5 years ago

• InkPixie

InkPixie says:

So we're not allowed to talk about a bad experience on a board because it is 'calling someone out?' But we can talk up the good experiences all we like and it is not considered 'calling someone out?' Why the double standard?

5 years ago

• jmkraige

jmkraige says:

Way to go etsy admin!

5 years ago

• folkheirloomsbypaige

folkheirloomsbypaige says:

Thanks for the advise I will use this to work on my shop!I'm trying to find advise about getting noticed,I'm sure it will come in due time.I thank everyone that is out there to help us newbies.

5 years ago

• JustBeccuz

JustBeccuz says:

Thank you for the wonderful article!!

5 years ago

• cheriebeadle

cheriebeadle says:

Great read! Thanks for letting me know. I had "called someone out" but thought I should delete it from my profile because it just felt negative to have and that was before I read this. Phew...glad I did the right thing. Thanks for clarifying what calling out is!

5 years ago

• LondonParticulars

LondonParticulars says:

Yeah, negative comments can really put me off a shop!

5 years ago

• LulusCrystals

LulusCrystals says:

The gist is READ FEEDBACK. I know I don't want to deal w someone who doesn't mail their sold items, I don't want to buy from someone who has sold garbage dressed up with lipstick. And please, do not buy from ppl who COPY or make sickeningly 'similar' artwork to another. Sighhh...

4 years ago

• SerebaDesigns

SerebaDesigns says:

Thanks for the links to this about forum chats. There is so much to read and to learn about procedure as a newbie. The How to's are always welcomed even if they are read after a posssible faux pas.

4 years ago

• shakra

shakra says:

Why is it that Etsy has plenty of resources, time and energy when it comes to closing threads of those that "Call Out" others... even when they are "calling them out" because these sellers are listing stuff that a) does not fit within the Etsy guidelines (i.e NOT handmade, vintage or supplies).. listing cheap chinese made items made a week ago as vintage etc.. Why is calling these types of sellers out such a bad thing? Do we want those kinds of stores ruining what was once a really good place to sell stuff?? Whats the point in having Etsy dedicated to artisans, DIY'ers and crafters when you spend more time shutting down those that alert the community to those who clearly could not give a toss about what we are really about???? I havent bothered to list anything here in a while because of this.

4 years ago

• aaronandersen

aaronandersen says:

I get that Etsy wants to avoid the nastiness that is rather common on the internet, but... When every dispute is kept a very hush-hush, private matter, there is no positive effect from transparency. Resellers can apparently resell with impunity, until April Winchell highlights them on Regretsy. Does Etsy really want Regretsy to be the forum that is keeping them honest? Frankly, the more resellers and mass-producers that show up here, the less integrity Etsy has. If Etsy loses its integrity, it loses its business plan. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, and sunlight does not have to equal bullying or manipulation, which everybody seems afraid of. It's definitely possible to handle disputes publicly in an adult fashion that doesn't bully, ridicule, tease, or be mean to anybody. Etsy already moderates forums to prevent calling out, which means it is within their capabilities to moderate a dedicated call-out forum to make sure the tone and manner of call-outs is reasonable and non-frivolous. They love rules, so they could make a rule that you can only call-out a violation of the terms of use, and that you have to simply state facts about how a shop is violating TOU, not use adjectives, whatever. It's not that hard. Or would we really all prefer to be sheltered children here?

3 years ago

• nadinecross78

nadinecross78 says:

I can't help but agree with the two posts directly above mine. While I appreciate that the forums are not a place for harassment, Etsy does need to think about its policies for policing and identifying re-sellers. Identifying a reseller *as* a reseller isn't "calling out"; it's responsible. Ultimately, it will help make Etsy what it is supposed to be -- a place where artists and legitimate sellers of vintage wares can connect directly to buyers. Frankly, I'd find Etsy purchasing a more positive experience if I could be sure that I'm not being duped into purchasing mass-produced wares cleverly disguised as handmade.

3 years ago

• longbeach

longbeach says:

The fact that etsy administrators do not want the handmade community "calling out" resellers makes me realize that I have to really do my research to determine if 1) I am getting something truly handmade and 2) that it is worth the price. Its very unfortunate. I think real crafters and artists are getting the short end of the stick here.

3 years ago

• AntiquesDjour

AntiquesDjour says:

longbeach, you are dead right. discouraging conversation and curbing the ability for etsy sellers to hold eachother accountable is very disapointing.

3 years ago

• julietgo Admin

julietgo says:

I'm closing comments here at this time. The purpose of this post was to explain our policy on "calling out;" if you have other concerns about policy on Etsy, please contact our Support staff at support@etsy.com. Thank you.

3 years ago

• This discussion has wrapped up!