UPDATE: Charles has moved on from Etsy, but we know his heart remains with us. We miss you, Charles! Thank you for being there in the early days.
Etsy has had quite a growth spurt in the past year, and we have the awkward pictures to prove it. We are posting a series of About Us pieces to help you get to know the Etsy admin (and since many of us work remotely, for the admin to get to know each other!). You’ve seen the admin badge, and maybe you’re a bit curious about the person behind it! For more on Etsy’s mission and about the company, please see our About page (the link is in the little blue footer of every Etsy page).
Charles Smith aka winenutnyc works on the Business Operations Team here at Etsy. Charles arrives early to work with a spring in his step. He’s business savvy and passionate about Etsy, providing us with stats, strategic planning advice, pay checks (Mmmm, paychecks). Sellers, look for his monthly Statistics posts on the Storque; you’re gonna love it. He’s also father to two of the cutest little kids in Brooklyn and Twitters the funny things they say.
Charles Fun Facts:
- He’s a wine connoisseur.
- He has solar panels on his green roof.
- He used to work at a TV news station (his family is in the news business) and thus he’s a pro in front of a camera.
- He is a crazy good poker player and he won $650 in one hand of Black Jack in Las Vegas recently.
- We videotaped him singing a mean “My Sharona” while playing Rock Band, but we won’t post it and embarrass him.
- He used to work for Macy’s.
- Matt says Charles beat Malcom Gladwell at chess.
- If you hit him over the head with a mallet he turns into 100 tiny leprechauns (according to Jim).
Apparently, he’s no longer on friendly terms with his prom date:
It’s so funny how he has the same expressions, even as a grown-up:
You can read more articles by Charles here. Below are some of his favorites…