Andy Forch, Richard Greiner and Alex Blunk run Huckberry.com, a members-only shopping community that offers a well-edited selection of apparel and gear from leading urban and outdoor brands. When they’re not scouting out cool new gear from their San Francisco office, they can be found on the slopes at Squaw Valley, on (off) a surfboard near Half Moon Bay, or writing parenthetically.
For better (e.g. eggnog, family) or worse (e.g. eggnog, family), the holidays are right around the corner, something you were likely reminded of if you recently visited a mall or still receive mail. Which, as we all know, means it’s time to think about The Gift List.
The girls on your list: Piece. Of. Cake.
The guys: not so much (unless, of course, they’re six and into video games).
Thankfully, as a) Guys, and b) Big fans of Etsy, we’re happy to report it’s possible to knock off all of your holiday shopping right here, and that this year you won’t need to sit in a two-hour parking lot traffic jam, nor make eye contact with a leering, boozy, mall Santa.
At Huckberry, we constantly cull the Etsy trove and have pulled together some cool and unique gifts that are likely to have the guys on your list reach a level of excitement that is typically only attained intravenously or in a ShamWow infomercial.
[1.Vintage North King rabbit fur hat from aniandrose; 2. Vintage 1964 Rolex from reginald0147; 3. Vintage Mont Blanc Meisterstuck fountain pen from wordlyandwise; 4. Blue socks from Muza; 5. 1970s REI hiking boots from ANNAKARINASCLOSET; 6. Vintage Barbour Bedale jacket from WistfulVictims]
We started Huckberry for guys like us — those with one foot in the city streets and the other in mountains and the sea. We’ve found there’s a similar community here on Etsy and that it’s a great place to score the vintage finds we wish we found in our dad’s closet (other than that stack of magazines).
1. Practical? No. Warm? Yes.
2. The man equivalent of receiving a little blue box.
3. Crayons melt in your pocket. Montblancs don’t.
4. This addition is partly due to last year’s NYE resolution to wear socks.
5. Might also want to call upon your friends Arm & Hammer.
6. Iconic British men’s label favored by Steve McQueen, hunters, and guys who celebrate Movember year-round.
[1. Repurposed vintage steel lockers from wesbenn; 2. Recycled wood and astro turf bench from BombFactoryFurniture; 3. Vintage tackle box from SquidWhaleDesigns; 4. Vintage fishing lures from the 1950s from DesignsByOlini; 5. Antique Swiss Alps map from sandmarg; 6. Vintage motorcycle sconce from betsyryland]
Man Cave. Two words that simultaneously strike fear (what’s going on down there) and relief (stay down there) to girlfriends, fiancées and wives. With two single guys and a married guy on the Huckberry team, we fancy ourselves as astute speleologists, capable of constructing Sig-approved subterranean environments that deserve to see the light of day.
1. Horizontal steel lockers for some horizontal role play.
2. No horizontal role play on this guy — too easy to get turf toe.
3. Now if I could just fill it with some…
4. Most of these vintage lures were handmade, unlike today.
5. “The Playground of Europe.”
6. Motorcycle lamp constructed from salvaged Japanese motorbikes. If you won’t let him have a motorcycle, compromise.
[1. Waxed canvas backpack from sketchbook; 2. Hand-stitched camera strap from ArtemisLeatherware; 3. Ceramic travel mug from riverstonepottery; 4. Custom engraved pocketknife from DJReigel; 5. Handmade longboard from SunkenMonkey]
Provisions for the big, scary life that exists outside of the man cave.
1. Form and function, made in the good ol’ US of A.
2. Dropped SLRs are a sore subject here at Huckberry.
3. Admittedly, we have a coffee problem. This mug is not helping.
4. Make sure you also give a penny.
5. Not the easiest board to ride, but its size makes it easy to tuck and hop on a bus.
[1. Chalkboard skull from iamhome; 2. Saber 24k gold toothed tiger skull from EarthSeaWarrior; 3. Masculine hygiene napkin from YeeHaw; 4. Aluminum and bronze ray gun from Nelles; 5. Gun soap from KcSoapsNmore]
There are some basic essentials that every guy needs. None of the items below are basic or essential.
1. A slightly more macabre version of the college Sharpie days.
2. You owe him one from when you wouldn’t let him taxidermy Bruce.
3. Masculine hygiene napkins: Only in West Virginia.
4. Your guy will get instant street cred with this gun in the W.O.W. chat forums.
5. Kills germs fast.