Exercise more. Save money. Lose weight. Stop procrastinating and do…whatever it is that you’ve been meaning to do. Making New Year’s resolutions can be great, but many of the more popular ones can fill you with guilt when December rolls around again and you haven’t accomplished nearly as much as you’d hoped to when making your plans twelve months before.
I always set some of what I call “intense” goals for the new year, but I also make sure to throw in some fun resolutions — things that are fulfilling to attain, yet won’t fill you with remorse if you don’t manage to carry them out. You didn’t end up finding time to grow that herb garden or learn to tango? I think you’ll manage without a heap of regret. But if you did find time — well, enjoy your deliciously flavored meals and being the star of the dance floor!
In the market for a fun resolution of your own? Here are some ideas and items for inspiration.
1. Learn to repair things around the house: Sink pillow by KasiaUrbanRybska.
2. Try to catch up with one friend a week: Phone cushion by Lisa’s Factory.
3. Take a ballet class: Vintage statue from The White Pepper.
4. Get a new hairstyle: Print by Yours, Roxanne.
5. Study sign language: Pins by amepix.
6. Add more bright colors to your wardrobe: Scarf by Yux Accessories.
7. Learn to juggle: Vintage juggling clubs at Nostalgic Artifacts
8. Start sewing: Vintage illustrated handkerchief from NeatoKeen.
9. Plan a weekly basketball pick-up game: Print by intheearlyhours.
10. Take boxing lessons: Pillow by Caitlin Hinshelwood.
11. Plant an herb garden: Herb storage bag by Harvest Haversack.
12. Master starting a fire: Vintage vase from 1001 Vintage.
1. Figure out how to pose for pictures: vintage statue from Object of Beauty.
2. Make the perfect cup of coffee at home: Pour-over coffee cone by SYRK Tableware.
3. Eat more vegetables: Vintage bowl from Kitsch Cafe.
4. Practice basic first aid: Wound powder by Fat and the Moon.
5. Attempt to play an instrument: Saxophone brooch from Mighty Vintage Berlin.
6. Smile more: Vase by Jen E.
7. Try tossing pizza dough: Towel by Fisk & Fern.
8. Taste a new type of cheese a week: Print by Albert & Marie.
9. Read more ‘zines: Tote by memo.
10. Pick up skateboarding: Skateboard deck by Magna.
11. Get a new pet: Dog hankie by Civic Trust.
1. Eat a delicious breakfast every day: Egg cups by Herman Marie.
2. Master making fancy cocktails: Serving tray from Kitsch Village.
3. Travel somewhere new: Vintage map at velvetonthepage.
4. Organize your desk: Vintage organizer from Mighty Vintage Berlin.
5. Discover your correct bra size: Pin by Angie & Friends.
6. See a play: Masks at The White Pepper.
7. Go whale watching: Jug by Julia Smith Ceramics.
8. Start wearing hats: Baby hat by Hiyakee.
9. Learn to identify different trees: Prints by Pioneer House.
10. Record favorite family recipes: Recipe cards by The Dancing Cat.
11. Try driving a standard: Toy car from Toys of the Past.
12. Hone those storytelling skills: Print by Ann Shen.
1. Redecorate your office: Clock by Fun Makes Good.
2. Go camping: Cup by Molly Hatch.
3. Send more snail mail: Print by Cuddlefish Press.
4. Get more sleep: Cushion by Beetroot Press.
5. Prepare one meal as a family a week: Wall plaque from Danish Mood.
6. Put on a marionette show for your nieces and nephews: Marionette at The Spiral Attic.
7. Learn how to tell a good joke: Book from Amelia Bedelia Vintage.
8. Swim once a week: Swimming ceramic man by Chie Miyazaki.
9. Get and care for a bonsai tree: Print by Adrienne Langer.
10. Go ice skating: Pennant at bellalulu.
What fun thing do you resolve to do in 2014?