Ready to party? To help you create a festive handmade vibe, party expert, stylist, maker of fake cake, and crafter extraordinaire Kitiya Palaskas has created three fun and easy paper projects for this week’s How-Tuesday. Read on for tips on making garlands, bunting, and party hats. Get ready to toss the confetti!
I am a freelance designer, artist and craft enthusiast currently based in Sydney, Australia. I enjoy making things, op shopping and show ‘n tell. I have an obsession with kittens that verges on the insane, and tend to go weak at the knees over desserts, stationery, and stripes. You can often find me behind a sewing machine, buried under piles of stickers and paper scraps, and/or frantically bedazzling anything in sight.
Project #1: How to Make Bunting
You Will Need: Colored or patterned card, colored twine, glue stick, tape, scissors, bunting template.
1. Using the templates provided, cut 15 of each triangle from card.
2. Use glue to affix a small triangle to the front of a large triangle, aligning the top edges. Repeat with remaining triangles.
3. Use tape to stick colored twine along the back top edge of each bunting flag. Leave approximately 2.5″ of twine between each flag and 10″ at either end for hanging.
Project #2: How to Make Party Hats
You Will Need: Colored or patterned card and paper, decorative stickers, pom poms, elastic, gift wrap ribbon, scissors, craft glue, and this party hat template.
1. Before you use the template provided to cut out your hat, slice along the marked lines of the template to form slits. Transfer the template to the colored or patterned card and trace the marked lines through the slits onto the card. Cut out hat and make slices at marked lines.
2. Use the small templates to cut an assortment of shapes from paper to decorate the hat.
3. Using craft glue, decorate the hat with stickers, paper shapes, pom poms, and curled gift wrap ribbon. Be creative!
4. Assemble your hat by slotting A into B. Tie elastic to points C and D to finish.
Project #3: How to Make a Garland
You Will Need: A sewing machine, colored sewing thread, colored or patterned cardstock, scissors.
1. Use the templates provided to cut 15 of each shape from colored card.
2. Use a sewing machine to sew a line through each shape. Do not cut the thread after each shape. Leave approximately 1.5″ thread between each shape.
What will you be making at Craft Party this year? Let us know in the comments below!