Sarah Feingold aka SarahSays is Etsy’s in-house attorney with real panache for the legal side of being an artist; in fact, she wrote a book on the subject called Copyright for Artists: Quick and Easy Copyright Protection. She works hard to ensure that Etsy is always shaking the hand at the end of the long arm of the law, rather than trying to outrun it. In addition to providing legal counsel for Etsy as a company, Sarah works extra-hard to provide ethical, practical, and understandable legal information for the Etsy community through her many articles and her concise words in the forums. Be sure to check out the articles that she has written for guidance in legalese, and remember she’s only one lawyer – she can’t give everyone a private consultation, but she’s around to make Etsy a better place for you.
Fun Facts about Sarah:
- Sarah had the setting made for her engagement ring made by Etsy Seller Beyond the Rockz, and had the stone set right here at the Etsy Labs. See for yourself in the video.
- She and her fiancé are going to Ninja training to become Ninjas.
- She is credited with keeping the most candy at her desk, due to her healthy obsession with candy: peeps and M&Ms being among her top picks.
- Unfortunately, her dentist informed her at a recent visit that her candy habit was responsible for seven cavities.
- Using her ruthless powers of persuasion (being a lawyer and all) she had the dentist down to two cavities with the option of parole by the time she left his office.
- Sarah’s office ,which was once referred to as “The Cabana,” is now commonly called the “Lawyer Hole,” thanks to Kelly, and is marked by its tiny door – which is used to keep tall engineers like George away from the candy supply.
- Her parents were disappointed when she decided to go to Law School, because they wanted her to go to Art School. To appease them, she did both.
- Sarah once made news headlines while a passenger on a cruise ship. A rogue wave rolled the Crown Princess at sea while on its way back to New York after a western Caribbean tour. She spoke to a Florida local news station via cellphone from the ship after the incident after which they reported this article. There was also this Forum Thread.
A young, awkward Sarah:
Etsy has had quite a growth spurt in the past year, and we have the awkward pictures to prove it. We’ve been posting a series of About Us pieces to help you get to know the Etsy admin (and since many of us work remotely, for the admin to get to know each other!). You’ve seen the admin badge, and maybe you’re a bit curious about the person behind it! For more on Etsy’s mission and about the company, please see our About page (the link is in the little blue footer of every Etsy page).
Some favorite shops below…