The Etsy Blog

5 Tips for Writing Stellar Product Descriptions

julieincharge

Alluring photographs are critical to draw shoppers into an item listing. But, once browsers have arrived, the power is in your pencil to turn them into buyers. By using language that is both informative and reflective of your brand’s personality, you have the chance to capture hearts in ways that visuals alone cannot. Let these tips guide you through the process of crafting shop copy that engages and informs customers. The advice focuses specifically on writing great item descriptions, but you can apply it throughout your shop, from your Policies to your About page.

1. Find Your Voice

Your writing voice establishes your shop’s distinct personality or style. When developing a voice, think about your target audience and the image you’re trying to convey to them. Are most of your customers moms with young children, for instance, or teenagers sporting some cool new accessory? Kathy Wesselius, owner of Felix Street Studio, a handcrafted bag business based in Scottsdale, Arizona, says her customers are typically men engaged to be married or women shopping for a gift for their husbands or boyfriends. She tailors her product line and listing descriptions accordingly. For example, she markets a shaving kit bag as a gift for grooms and poses this question in the item’s description: “Are you looking for a classic, rugged, practical, handmade gift?” Since Kathy is older than many of her customers, she occasionally asks her kids for advice on striking a more youthful tone.

The description for this personalized shaving kit bag from Felix Street Studio notes, "Each bag is hand cut and custom embroidered before it is lined and stitched together with strong nylon thread on an industrial sewing machine. Every step is executed carefully so you will have a sturdy, well-constructed bag that will hold up to years of use."

The description for this personalized shaving kit bag from Felix Street Studio notes, “Each bag is hand cut and custom embroidered before it is lined and stitched together with strong nylon thread on an industrial sewing machine. Every step is executed carefully so you will have a sturdy, well-constructed bag that will hold up to years of use.”

Some shop owners adopt a voice that reflects their own personality. Erin Elowe Proctor, metalsmith and owner of Saturn 5 Studio, a jewelry business based in Westminster, California, tries to inject humor into her listings. “I want readers to feel like they’re talking to me,” she says. For example, one of her descriptions for a personalized pendant etched with a pet portrait warns, “You are dealing with a crazy cat lady!” Erin says, “As a shopper, I’m attracted to that. I bought Unicorn Farts lip balm just the other day from an Etsy seller because the listing was so fun to read; I wanted to buy her products and then hang out with her afterwards.” If you’re not sure how to translate your voice onto the page, Erin suggests describing your product aloud into a tape recorder, playing it back and typing down what you said.

Point of view is another key element of voice. It might be tempting to use the “royal we” or third person when describing your products, but doing so can confuse shoppers about who’s creating your products. If you’re a solo operator, it’s best to use the first person perspective in your listings. In fact, it can be a big selling point for shoppers who love to personally connect with makers.

Keep in mind that your voice can – and should – change over time as your shop evolves. Kathy of Felix Street Studio says her shop’s voice has gone from quirky to refined since she started it in 2009. Back then, she was a one-woman operation, so she used the first person point of view throughout her shop. Now that she has a three-person staff,  she writes about her shop from a plural perspective.  “As my shop and my product has evolved, I have taken a more professional tone,” she says. “I want my brand to be perceived as elegant. Plus, it’s not just me making and shipping and doing everything anymore; it’s a team approach led by me with a very talented staff.”

2. Think Physical

A detailed description can help narrow the gap between shopping in a brick-and-mortar store and buying online. Gittit Szwarc, a self-proclaimed “jewelry engineer” and owner of Knobbly, an Etsy shop based in Tel Aviv, recommends thinking about what information a buyer might be gathering if she were shopping for an item in a physical store. One thing Gittit has learned is that numerical measurements alone tend to be less than helpful, especially when people are shopping for jewelry. “Most people can’t eyeball 1.5 inches and don’t keep a ruler by their computer,” she says.  Instead, Gittit uses physical reference points such as “chin length” and “just below the collarbone” to convey size, and then includes specific measurements and other technical information further down in the item details.

In the description of these rose gold ear cuffs in Gittit Szwarc’s shop she notes, “The longest chain dangles 13 cm (5 inches) long, so the spikes just skim the top of your shoulders” to give readers around the world a sense of scale.

In the description of these rose gold ear cuffs in Gittit Szwarc’s shop, Knobbly, she notes, “The longest chain dangles 13 cm (5 inches) long, so the spikes just skim the top of your shoulders” to give readers around the world a sense of scale.

3. Get Mobile-Friendly

These days, more than 50 percent of traffic to Etsy comes from mobile devices. That means shoppers are more likely to be experiencing your shop on a smaller screen – perhaps at the same time they’re checking their social media accounts, texting friends and scanning their email inboxes. As a result, it’s more important than ever to create descriptions that are concise and memorable. Include the most important information in the beginning of each listing to draw readers in and to make your shop more search-friendly. (Check out How to Get Found in Search for more detailed advice.) A metaphor or a highly descriptive word can get a paragraph’s worth of information across and entice readers to linger over a mental image, adds Gittit of Knobbly.

4. Experiment

Look at your Shop Stats on a regular basis to determine what keywords people are typing in to find you. “If I find that after a few months no one searches the term ‘atomic rocket’ then I use something else. It’s a constant experimentation,” notes Erin of Saturn 5 Studio. To strengthen the selection of keywords, try this trick: Pretend you are a shopper and search for your item using Etsy’s search bar. In a drop-down list, Etsy will auto-suggest the most popular real search terms that buyers are actually searching. Do you see terms in this list that describe your product? Incorporate these words in your tags and titles to increase the listing’s search relevancy and connect with more shoppers.

5. Edit, Then Edit Some More

Show the same quality and care in your writing that you put into your products by proofreading descriptions for grammar, punctuation and clarity. Trim out unnecessary tidbits and do spot checks: Is the writing style consistent with your other listings and the rest of your shop? It can pay to enlist a fresh perspective. “Write a sample description and bounce it off some people,” Erin suggests. “My husband, my mom and a couple of my Facebook fans are often willing to read something for me in exchange for a coupon code.” She’ll ask these helpers, ”Are you bored to tears? Is this too much information? Am I missing something?” She says, “Even if you don’t feel like you have friends who would be willing, you can find people right here on Etsy Teams.”

Saturn 5 Studio introduces this pendant this way: “This is Ground Control to Major Tom...cat.”

Saturn 5 Studio introduces this pendant this way: “This is ground control to Major Tom…cat.”

Editing your work with fresh eyes before hitting Publish can also cut down on customer questions later. Case in point: Erin was writing a listing for an astronaut cat pendant when “Ground Control to Major Tom” started playing on Spotify. The song inspired her to write what she thought was a great description, until she set it aside and read it again later. “I realized I got so into being funny that I forgot to mention how big the pendant was,” she says. “Sometimes writing doesn’t always come through the way you intended the first time.”

What’s the most memorable piece of writing you’ve encountered in an Etsy shop? Share a quote in the comments.

Seller Handbook Best-of Archives | How to Write Enticing Item Descriptions

Julie Schneider is a Brooklyn-based artist, writer and teacher. When she’s not writing and editing Etsy’s Seller Handbook, she’s carrying on her family’s pun tradition or crafting up a storm. Keep up with her latest projects on Instagram, Twitter and her blog.

3 Featured Comments

• maryhargrave

MaryClaire from MaryClaires says: Featured

I think this is something you learn over and over again as you evolve - so thanks for the reminder. But every time I read about something like this, I come from a more experienced place and "get it" in a different way.

• leoandspargo

LeoandSpargo from leoandspargo says: Featured

Great article. We've recently redone our descriptions to craft a story that's concise with our branding, rather than just describing the physical features, and had a great increase in interest. It's so important to carry your branding through to the copywriting.

• kgpaintings

Kirsten Gilmore from PaintingsByKEGilmore says: Featured

It's a tricky balance: keeping brevity and yet achieving clarity. When I remove written policies from the actual listing, I get many customer questions about them. Even though they already written in the policies tab. I suspect many people don't really click on the tab. In the end, I came up with two strategies that helped: 1. faux bullet points to visually separate ideas, and 2. keeping the same order to sub headings on each listing. (So, for instance, "payment methods" are always discussed at the bottom of the listing.) If I have to sacrifice one, I'll lose brevity in favor of clarity.

• seasidecloth

seasidecloth from seasidecloth says:

Definitely worth re-visiting descriptions to stay fresh and interesting to buyers.

• lovethatlingers

Dawn from lovethatlingers says:

Just what I needed! Excellent tips here! Thanks so much for posting and to all that shared your insights and experiences (=

• penumbraimages

Tania Cardenas from PenumbraImages says:

thank you for this great article!!! I often find myself struggling when it comes to describing my artwork to potential buyers. Great tips to keep in mind

• GlazeNfireCeramics

Ashley Kaase from AshleyKaaseCeramics says:

This is so helpful! I am about to sit down with a pen and paper and go over my entire shop! Thank you so much!

• inspiringanchors

Megan Braswell from inspiringanchors says:

This is really awesome advice to keep in mind. I was just thinking today about how I wanted to grow my shop and be more personal but relatable. That is what makes Etsy such an awesome place to begin with, the personal feel you get when shopping or selling.

• phoenix2000k

Paulette Moye from phoenix2000k says:

Thank you for the tips.

• nat1489

Natalie Jacob from EtymologyJewelry says:

Very helpful. Great read, thanks Etsy!

• elifus

Elif Ustunel from elifus says:

this is helpful! thank you! i mostly find myself staring at the screen desperately while writing descriptions :))

• swoonpurses

TJ Dellaport from SwoonPurses says:

Very helpful. Thanks for the advice.

• agebo

Ann Cosgrove from acbcDesign says:

Wonderful article, writing I find to be one of the more challenging aspects of listing products.

• squidbrains

Jillian Altmeyer from Squidbrains says:

Great article! Thanks for the info.

• GeorgieGirlLLC

D George from GeorgieGirlLLC says:

Thanks for the post, this will help greatly!

• GemsandRhinestones

Katy Z from ButterflyWarriors says:

I have resisted adding my own voice but now I think I will. Personalize my very personal shop :)

• KathrynWarren2

Kathryn Warren from HailTiger says:

Great tips. Sometimes I find it helpful to ask others what they notice or respond to about my work. When you're around it for so long, it's hard to remember what other people are seeing!

• pcianfl1

Patricia Cianflone from FernwaterStudio says:

The shops that I remember best are the ones that not only have wonderful items to sell, but that write about those items and themselves with wit, creativity and are a little bit out of the norm...

• CapturingHarmony

Kathy Wolfe from DaydreamingKat says:

Thank you! Great advice. It's hard to find your own voice when you need to be so descriptive. I want to lighten up my listings now!

• peggradyart

Peg Grady from peggradyart says:

Thank you...very helpful, now I need to get to work!

• BarDulce

BarDulce from BarDulce says:

Absolutely, I agree! Thanks for the advice :)

• LizziesRightBrain

Lizzie from LizziesRightBrain says:

I also once bought at a particular shop because her descriptions were so darn funny. And that's what I like about shopping here, you don't get such personality from a big box.

• kitandcaboodleshop

Gayle Dowell from kitandcaboodleshop says:

My voice...now that is something I need to define and work on. It seems that I'm always tweaking and hopefully improving my photos and descriptions. My tags and titles probably could use a good review as well. Thanks for the tips.

• ionesAttic

Barbara from ionesAttic says:

How does one marry the repetition of relevant SEO descriptive words from the title into an original voice? Times 250 or more for various listings within a shop? I find this challenging every time I list a unique vintage item.

• lolatrail

Beth A from lolatrail says:

Very informative. Thank you

• art4ear

Deborah from art4ear says:

Great article and much needed advice, thanks!

• maryhargrave

MaryClaire from MaryClaires says: Featured

• LedaDesign

Leda Design from LedaDesign says:

Thank you for the tips!

• Luregasmic

John from Luregasmic says:

very helpful!...thank you!

• hadleyclay

Hadley Sedgwick from hadleyclay says:

Today I was just thinking it's time to reevaluate my product descriptions! I tend to write a general description on each of the lines I carry rather than each individual product. This is super helpful advice, much appreciated!

• felinusfabrics

Sumie Tachibana from felinusfabrics says:

Always looking for ways to improve. Thank you so much!

• FenderMinerals

Maryanne Fender from FenderMinerals says:

Good article. Very helpful.

• barbarakaso
  • PattysPosters
  • lakeonestitchery

lakeonestitchery from LakeOneStitchery says:

Thanks for the timely advice...new shop owner here :)

• babygiftidea

Pat from BabyDuckGifts says:

Wow, this was a lot for me to mull over, THANKS!

• TheProfessorsAttic

TheProfessorsAttic from TheProfessorsAttic says:

I love to read these helpful and informative blogs. It is sometimes time consuming to write informative and entertaining product descriptions and more than once I have come up with writer's block while attempting it. I try to think of what I would like to know about an item and try to write as if I am speaking directly to the shopper. It's definitely a learning process.

• ArtisanSoapInVegas

Artisan Bath and Body from ArtisanBathandBody says:

Helpful tips! Thank you so much!

• AnatomicalQuilling

Sarah Yakawonis from YakawonisQuilling says:

Awesome advice. I've been thinking about "spring cleaning" my descriptions. With 315 listing it's going to take forever!

• Texere

M Peacock from LaPiccolinaFarm says:

I agonize over product descriptions - but I figured that was just me as a new shop owner. Fascinating to know that product descriptions can be just as challenging for seasoned shop owners as those of us just starting!

• nickigallery

junko from NickiNickiGallery says:

Thank you for the helpful information! The hardest part of writing descriptions has always been incorporating SEO in it, which often makes them sound a bit unnatural..... I really need to focus on what has been said in "find you voice" and "think physical" as much as I do on SEO.

• SimpleJoysPaperie

Lana Manis from SimpleJoysPaperie says:

Time to refresh my descriptions! Thanks for the tips!

• Ordacity1

Leticia S from JewelryDesignsbyTish says:

Very informative and helpful.

• EverythingIOwn

Carolyn from EverythingIOwn says:

Lots of great info packed into this article. Many, many thanks!

• beachglow

beachglow from beachglow says:

Great article! Thanks!

• CreationsbyLynneB

CreationsbyLynneB from CreationsbyLynneB says:

Very helpful tips!!Thanks so much for the help!! I know I am going to be doing some editing :)

• alorasadorables

alorasadorables from AlorasAdorables says:

When I first opened my shop 5 years ago I was so excited and in love with my product (vintage chenille fabric) and used flowery words to create a story around the fabric. It was so much fun to combine my writing experience with the product. Then several competitors began to write in their About section and in their descriptions that they "will never waste your time with nonsense and flowery descriptions" in their stores and "you won't find any sales techniques in this shop, we have too much respect for you". One of my customers told me to go check these out and I did. I was so deflated afterwards that I lost my "voice". I rewrote every description with 'only the facts' and they sounded sooo bland and boring. And the fun slowly leaked out of running my shop. Without the joy, it became a j-o-b! So I totally agree that your voice is who you are and what you bring to the "personality" of your shop. I'm in the midst of finding that voice again and I will rewrite nearly 400 listings over the next few months to reflect that. I've learned not to listen to negative comments that contribute nothing to build on. I'm taking this article to heart and revamping my store.

• ladyamber79

amber stefani from ladyamber79 says:

Really great advice. I am new to selling so through reading this blog, I feel could make some big changes

• TheEclecticHound

Lara from TheEclecticHound says:

I turn into a chatterbox through my fingers. It's hard to know when to stop! I get too excited :). These are very helpful tips, thanks, Julie!

• leoandspargo

LeoandSpargo from leoandspargo says: Featured

• hilltopcottage

Wendy from hilltopcottage says:

very informative and helpful....thank you!

• tliv1965

Theresa Livingston from PrairieIce says:

Thank you for the great tips. Not sure about the body references like "chin length" or "sits below the collar bone" for jewelry, though. Earrings or a necklace will hit in different areas depending on neck length/circumference. I think if a shopper is considering investing in a piece of jewelry online, they should definitely consult their ruler.

• UniquesewingBoutique

Elly Sterlacci from UniquesewingBoutique says:

Thank you for the article, helpful as always, need to go over some of my listings and see what I can improve.

• StudioYTE

StudioYTE from StudioYTE says:

Wonderful tips - many thanks!

• kgpaintings

Kirsten Gilmore from PaintingsByKEGilmore says: Featured

• birthdayboutique1

Birthday Boutique from birthdayboutique1 says:

Great Article, thank you!

• couponcountry

Beverly H from couponcountry says:

Thanks for the GREAT ideas.

• WalnutTreeWorkshops

Zach Gooch from WalnutTreeWorkshops says:

Great tips for a newcomer. Thanks!!

• Mazzarati

Marion Drury from SpiritandLife says:

Great article. Very helpful and encouraging. Thank you!

• ManInTheMoonHerbs

ManInTheMoonHerbs from ManInTheMoonHerbs says:

Thank you! Descriptions are my Achilles heel.

• susio

Susanne Ryan from TheFeltedGnomeKnows says:

Someone in the teams told me to write the description like there were no picture and photograph like there was no written description- I have found that advice to be very helpful when stumped as to what to write about a particular piece. Great tips. Thank you!

• HubbCaps

RT Hubbard from TOTMOCS says:

Great article. Very Helpful!

• geminijade

Deborah Keniston from geminijade says:

I notice at the beginning of your article you say " her customers are typically men engaged to be married or women shopping for a gift for their husbands or boyfriends". How does she get her demographics? I would like to be more aware of who is buying and be connected, but when you sell vintage and every item is different, it's tough. Some people shine through in spite of it! Otherwise your article is very good. Enjoyed it very much. THANKS!

• vickyfuqua

Vickey Fuqua from ApplestarrStudio says:

Thanks! Such a fine line between TOO personal and personality. I'm rewriting a description for a note card (which I love and use), but isn't selling. Wish me luck!

• buttonsushi

Marcia Gordenstein from ItsSoVintage says:

Great advice thank you! Wondering if there is a way to bulk edit descriptions so if I want to add the same line to many "like items" in my shop I do not have to do it 100 times.

• ElegantRoseBoutique

Melissa from ElegantRoseBoutique says:

Great article! I think it is time to revisit my listings to freshen them up a bit.

• cutebrightthings

Alisa Curiel from cutebrightthings says:

Super helpful, the descriptions can be challenging at times:)

• artbyterencejohn

Terence Cleary from southcoaststudio says:

I am very grateful for articles such as this! - it helps with the focus and we then realize we're not alone on this journey :-) Cheers everyone

• FreshRetroGallery

Elizabeth Knaus from FreshRetroGallery says:

The most memorable writing comes from sellers of the last pair of earrings and gifts I bought recently.

• HuntandFound

Julie from HuntandFound says:

Fantastic read with a wealth of info! Thank you-will completely refer to this when writers block hits!

• ptownsend13

Autumn's Echo Shoppe from AutumnsEchoShoppe says:

Very Helpful ,Informative ........and i "book-marked" it so i can go back to read later!!! :)

• isewcute

June from isewcute says:

Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated!

• jkadesigns

Janice from jkadesigns says:

Great article and very helpful! Thanks!

• teenytinyenvelopes

carol from teenytinyenvelopes says:

I've been really enjoying the Etsy success blog posts. This one is particularly helpful! Thanks, especially, for the tip about writing for mobile.

• texaseve

Lyn Scott from LynScottPhotography says:

Nice tips! thanks!!

• shazhee

Shaz G from TheBabyBootieque says:

Thankyou for these tips. Anyone like to take a look at my product descriptions please? www.thebabybootieque.etsy.com

• spurloo

Josh n Annie from spurloovintage says:

Sounds good. I need to try the search bar trick. Thank you!

• nancypickney

Nancy Pickney from PickneyCreations says:

Very informative article! Thanks for the tips!

• battonclayworks

Ann and Sandy Batton from BattonClayworksEtc says:

Great tips, thank you!

• MyFiberFolly

Betsy Alspach from MyFiberFolly says:

It is so refreshing to read about the value of thoughtfully written communication. I am inspired to edit, and edit again, and change things up a bit on items that have been listed for a while. Thanks!

• traciking

Harriet from SecondImpulse says:

While I agree with this completely, I would no purchase earrings worn by a live model. Just noting that turns me off.

• AbracadabraParties

AbracadabraParties from AbracadabraParties says:

Files this article away for reading again before writing my next description. Thanks for the tips.

• tiggerific4fun

Carol Meyer from MamawsManyBlessings says:

Very good advice, sometimes I find myself stagnant using the same over & over.

• deniseknebel

Denise from Canicarryu says:

Thank you for this great advice ! I love these reminders. Reading these emails gives me incentive to ask myself some questions and search my brain for interesting ways to convey information. Thanks!

• KaiyasCloset

Jessica Meyer from KaiyasRoom says:

Thanks, great article: )

• elizabethwitcher1
  • anastasiawiley1

Anastasia Wiley from CozyHat says:

Yes great article thank you

• BowMoBBB

Diane (Mo) Collins from BowMoBBB says:

OK, descriptions are going to start being edited in the next few days. Great ideas! Thanks!

• danasimson

dana simson from DanaSimson says:

great suggestions thank you!

• skirtingthetissue

skirtingthetissue from skirtingthetissue says:

great ideas-I can't say I have seen any memorable descriptions to quote here. When shopping I get turned off by descriptions that are too wordy. Sometimes I like the descriptions that are just bullet items and easy to read.

• dottywalker

Dotty Walker from SewThoughtfulBlanket says:

Love all of your advice. Thanks so much!

• turneranna

Ann from NauticallyInspired says:

My descriptions need some work. Thanks for the tips!

• itsmolly

Molly Smith from itsmolly says:

This is all wonderful advice. I do need to recheck my tag words and do some editing. Thank you for the nudge. :o)

• dianeborgmann

Diane from BorgmannsCreations says:

Thanks for the tips. This gives me something to work on.

• BluKatDesign

Heather O'Cain from BluKatDesign says:

Some great tips here, thanks so much :)

• lindab142

Linda B. from lindab142 says:

Great tips on using your own voice. Thank you for the post.

• Rakahuri

Jeneane from DunedinSt says:

I love writing my vintage product descriptions. Almost certainly these are too flowery or verbose for many shoppers but this is where I express my shop's character, convey basic information and give a bit of background about the product, whether that's production history or my connection to it. As a shopper I really feel frustrated with the poor background given on other trading sites. I have chosen to sell on Etsy because it encourages a higher standard of presentation after all. I use my full descriptions to maximise key word use. I can use American and other English terms and also the different names for a vintage item or its use that occur over time. I notice that these variations bring traffic to products listed right over the past four months. Vintage customers often tell me that they appreciate my stories. By the way, I like the way alorasadorables has managed to write writerly and concise descriptions for her exquisite textiles.

• CreationCarvings

David Egesdal from CreationCarvings says:

Always tweaking the descriptions to arrive closer to perfection.

• QUEENBEADER

Brianah from QUEENBEADER says:

Such a helpful, insightful article. Since I feel my shop is always growing and can always use some sort of improvements, I definitely want to triple check all of my Descriptions and see if perhaps I should make any changes. Thank you Etsy!!

• TeaTimeVintageShop

carole from TeaTimeVintageShop says:

Interesting tips, thanks for the article.

• janeharbison

Jane Harbison from JaneHarbisonDesign says:

Thankyou - this was helpful.

• annalockwood1

Anna Lockwood from NalisNotions says:

I am still trying to find my voice. Most of my mens hats are sold to women purchasing for a boyfriend or to men for themselves. I started designing hats for men and boys because I have so many in my life and it is hard to find a good gift. So do I use my Nana voice or my friend voice or my designer voice? I am all over the place and now there are so many listings to re-write I get overwhelmed.

• amberike
  • Tlala

Ta Ma Ra from TLALA says:

Wow! Thank you for this comprehensive guide to improving item descriptions. I especially like the idea about getting fans on other social platforms involved. It is an interactive, productive and useful suggestion for improved stats and engaging content as well as a good excuse to interact with people interested in what I create.

• lizbeth639

Liz Leo from HaloHavenn says:

Thank you for the great advice :) time to trade coupon codes for reviews with friends and family :)

• maureenmakeup

Maureen Gill from ShabbyHaus says:

Thank you for the tips!

• opendoorstudio

Martha Layton Smith from opendoorstudio says:

I have to say…. i am totally confused! I used to write from the top of my head and had a quirky way of describing things. My customers loved it… then SEO came around and everyone was saying we need to focus on that and that we must cut the frills. Needing to be concise because of all of the ways people may be viewing our shops… via iPad, iPhone etc... I feel I lost myself in the process… and as someone who has been very successful on Etsy in the past, ( and being active and not having a sale in several months) I think I may just throw all other advice to the side and get back to my quirky way! Sorry now, that I ever switched! … I suppose I will have tons of work ahead of me in turning my listings back around! ( feeling like alorasadorables above) Thanks Julie… for reminding us that we are all folks with personality!… Can't wait to get mine back!

• Hlhamblin

Hillaree Hamblin from BirchandGoldberry says:

Great article! Thanks! :)

• ecogalsales1

ECO GAL from KnitableArt says:

New shop owner. Still trying to get the hang of tag words. If anyone has a minute KnitableArt could use some feedback. I am doing this alone from a smart phone. My daughter is currently listing until I can upgrade to a note. It's been quite an adventure. I just love knitting the tutus. So many to make and so little time. Thanks etsy!!!

• thevelvetwindow

thevelvetwindow from TheVelvetWindow says:

I really needed this! Thanks!

• gloriouslifehandcraf

Andrea from GloriousLifeCrafted says:

I really appreciate these articles. As a newer Etsy seller, I am always looking for ways to improve my shop, and these articles help for sure. Thanks!

• debvasbinder

Deb Vasbinder from BabyCuteBaby says:

Thanks for sharing the always helpful & great tips .

• rebiedaydreams

Rebecca Lowe from OhCarrotSticks says:

Great advice! I need to go over my descriptions, the could use some revisions. Thanks Etsy!

• gabriella50

Marilyn Boorstein from EmbellishmentZwithaZ says:

I was waiting for someone to light a fire under me! I have been so very down with the results from my store. I am realizing that it's no one's fault but my own. I was constantly wondering why none of the teenage and women's ball caps haven't sold. Could it possibly be that I haven't been writing about them and the other products in my store enough?? I have come to the realization that it's been almost four years since my husband passed away. He was my encouragement for the 12 special years that he gave me. I think that it's about time that I begin doing what I really do love. That is besides my children and my 4 beautiful grandchildren. I'm going to find my creative juices once again and let them flow. Thank you for your encouraging words. I will be forever thankful. EmbellishmentzwithaZ Marilyn

• croth2

Cindy from Christmastreetops says:

Good tips! I think that when you click on a listing and it has one picture, and one line of description, it feels like the artist couldn't be bothered with trying to write a descriptive listing. Like it's a hassle for them. You're asking people to spend their money, and if you don't give them enough info, they won't. I try to hook the customer in with a quick emotional response, then give the details on construction and quality. I've had to look at my listings on the phone app, and adjust to put some of the size info earlier in the description. I've had some super fast shoppers on their phone, who admit they didn't read the whole description, and when their topper or bow arrived it was not the size they had pictured. But I'd rather put it all in and answer the questions, so I only get 1/2 as many convos asking questions that are already answered in the description.

• sagebespoke

Adela Sivewright from sagebespoke says:

Thank you, this is inspiring. Like having a teacher urging you to do your homework!

• BadDogGlassworks

BadDogGlassworks from BadDogGlassworks says:

The timing of this article is interesting ... a customer just told me that it was just two words I used in my description that convinced her to buy a particular pair of earrings in my shop! Clearly, descriptions do matter.

• foong

Wendy Boey from foong says:

Wow! This is very useful, especially point 2! noted and will get down to action! :)

• clarekapin

Clare and Richard Kapin from VarietyArtworks says:

Thanks, I appreciate useful information!

• nowvintage

Bobbie from nowvintage says:

Thank you!! Great article!

• PruAtelier

Jeanne B from PruAtelier says:

Great advice! I think I'm going to have to edit mine down a bit as I tend to get too wordy and just leave the particulars. I go nuts though, when I have to convo someone who doesn't see fit to put measurements or much in the way of needed information in a listing!

• donnieleandro
  • fromLUCYwithLOVEwed

Lucy from LucyLovesPaper says:

Very helpful tips! Thank you!! :)

• weewillywogwomp

weewillywogwomp from OooYah says:

Thanks Etsy , I thought of some changes I'm going to make right now. Your awesome !!!

• armandatonga

Armand Atonga from BESOFashionStyle says:

Instructif, merci ;)

• scoobydooo9r

Zac Higgins from NvWoodwerks says:

This is the perfect boot in the rear to start really working on my descriptions and my writing in general! Thanks for a great read and motivation.

• ikabags

IKA PARIS from ikabags says:

Great article ! Because our handmade items are not mass product ! Here is my bags description details : ■This lovely and timeless design fabric is woven in FRANCE and WATER PROOF exclusively for ikabags Stockholm bags ! COPYRIGHT© 2014 Ikabags™. ■FRENCH bachette cotton canvas with WOVEN stripes NOT PAINTED ! ■ IKABAGS 's design is simple,elegant, versatile ,functional,durable ,sustainable ,lovely and beautiful but always with a detail that makes the difference.Elegant,roomy,casual and much more! ■Timeless design and finest craftswomanship ; Finished and sewn by 5 different model (each one for special details) double needle industrial HEAVY DUTY sewing machines which gives better standing and resistance.All stress points are double and triple reinforced for maximum strength.Stress points are always reinforced. ■ She is the ultimate ALL SEASON travel companion..This bag is HOT and 100% handmade ! ■ ikabags BEST SELLER since 2008 ! ■ Eco friendly unique bags are made completely lovingly by hand from by me in my clean,warm cozy,sweet home studio in Paris, without using helpers. I hope each shop can write their special shop descriptions , do not copy others , this is important too; for your special handmade work ! If buyers start to read same details with apx same words will not work for your shop .You need to write all true details. I know will take time but good work need good details. I hope i can write better each year too .

• eanjewellery

Elizabeth Anne Norris from eanjewellery says:

Great tips, thank you. I'm off to edit and edit some more !

• wohnraumformer

Corana Böhm from wohnraumformer says:

Thank you so much! Another great and helpful article :-)

• GisieArt

Giselle from MyArtAndFashion says:

Great article! Thank you for the tips!

• Schaefli

Schaefli from Schaefli says:

Great idea and useful information! Thank you so much!

• AmberSister

Vineta designer from AmberSistersdesign says:

Good advice! Thank you!

• brendascrochet15

Brenda from brendascrochetnsuch says:

Yes, I think I am a bit wordy too. I will have to edit, edit, edit. I don't know if I could get away with 2 words in the description. I also seem to be having trouble with my newer pics. I can't get good detail as I did awhile ago. No one is going to buy something that they cant see the stitches on. I will have to work on that too. Thanks for posting this. I will have to save to my computer.

• worldcoincufflinks

Maura Reynolds from worldcoincufflinks says:

Great article, I always think it is an ongoing process an key is working on items which are not getting traffic, changing their description and moving them up again. Great article, thank you.

• hanovergals

denise davison from HanoverMerryMakers says:

Super article, lots of points to make descriptions better, thank you.

• tartanmoose

Sheila Wiseman from SheilaWiseman says:

Excellent advice. I'm not keen on shops that just give the bare facts, I want to "hear" the person behind the work. Having just opened my shop I'm finding it a steep learning curve on how to use stats, thinking about mobile devices etc. Thanks for the info.

• WHEATSHEAFwithlove

WHEATSHEAFwithlove from WHEATSHEAFwithlove says:

Great article! I'll write with my own tone of voice, try not to write with all keywords put in line together.

• vanessacespon

Nutopia Citizen from NutopiaLab says:

Super cool article! Many helpful tips! I am going to refresh some of my item descripitions right now!

• santoulla

Santa from BlossomingDream says:

Wonderful! Thank you! :)

• pamelajones761

pamela jones from Pamelajonesartstudio says:

Thank you for sharing. Very useful info. Have a great day!

• sparklesbythesea

Cher Madonna from Sparklesbythesea says:

Great tips, thank you!

• sonyavargas

Sonya Vargas from JustMeAccessories says:

Great Advice! :)

• annhunsberger27

Ann Hunsberger from unperfectvintage says:

Great help. Thanks a lot!!!

• nicrock

nicola rock from Rockscraft says:

Thanks for the key word check idea, I am really struggling. Researching my words is now on top of my todo list.xx

• meriliin

Merilin Põld from MerilinsRetro says:

Many helpful tips, just what I needed - I corrected all my measurements and added some words like quite small, huge or pocket size. Thanks so much!

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat from mazedasastoat says:

I don't like vague terms to do with size such as "chin length", I prefer to know exactly how big a thing is. I have skinny wrists & neck, so things don't fit me the same as many people. I find it useful to put a scale in one of the photos, it can be anything that's universally recognisable, depending on the size of the item you're photographing... pencil, wine bottle, etc. I use either a steel ruler marked in both metric & imperial units, or a set of coins. Two of my wonderful overseas customers let me "buy" coins from their countries. I also include accurate measurements in inches & millimetres. I find it helpful to have a template for listings, so all the info is always in the same order & each page looks similar. The paragraphs can differ in length, but there is a set format. My descriptions are sometimes quite long, but I say what needs to be said, in the way that I feel comfortable with. Incidentally, virtually none of the traffic to my shop is from a mobile platform, I know Etsy's plugging it like crazy but I really believe folks like to see a picture of what they might buy on a decent sized screen. I hate seeing titles loaded with keywords that don't make a coherent description for the item in question. Lastly, I'm a grammar nazi & get instantly turned off by anyone who can't be bothered to spellcheck, format properly or who uses text-speak. We're all allowed the occasional typo, (& I make huge allowances & am in awe of anyone who lists in a second language) but your descriptions are your shopfront, the face you show the world, your one chance to entice a prospective customer to want to know more about your items... whatever you feel the need to say, take the trouble to say it correctly!

• kathrynbuckley

Kathryn Buckley from BKLYNborn says:

Great advise. I find it important to edit & revamp early listings. Sometimes the older listings lack the style & new format I've developed over time. I also need to consider the small venue approach for smartphones. Thanks

• VermontCountryHome

Leslie Ann from VermontCountryHome says:

Very helpful! Thanks!

• TanaAnns

Tana Stephens from TanaAnns says:

Thank you Julie!

• OlgaRebristaya

Olga from AlmostRealFlowersArt says:

Thanks a lot! Very helpfull advices especially for the freshers like me) I did wrote all measurments in inches and cantimeters... but now I think, maybe it is better to make photos on a model or at least to try to use a descriptive approach. Thanks again!

• blueroompottery

Marietta from blueroompottery says:

Excellent article, thank you so much! Oh, I never stop working my descriptions and my listings, I am never pleased 100% and feel that I need to check things all the time. These articles are so helpful! :)

• vintagehappinesstime

Vintage Happiness Time from VintageHappinessTime says:

Really helpful advice. I enjoy writing the descriptions, but I have to remember I"m not writing to entertain myself. This article will help me focus better when writing.

• fabbags7

efi zefi from FabBagsByEfi says:

If your mother language is english, these tips are useful. If not, it's very difficult to describe whatever you present in your shop the way you want or you should. Even if you speak english well enough, like I do, it's almost impossible to describe with 100% accuracy whatever you wish to describe.

• vintagepaige

Kim from vintagepaige says:

Great.

• LisaDeluxe

Lisa Davis from NoDittoDesign says:

Oh Lordy! I've lost me voice...!

• keep04605

Betsy Keep from Betsysbijoux says:

Great advice - every time I recheck a description, I find one more typo that I missed. Queen of the typos here! What I hate, as a buyer of vintage jewelry and antiques, is either bad, and I mean really horrid, grammar (not an occasional typo) or misinformation. There is no excuse for either and the 'everybody calls it that" when it is wrong has me shopping elsewhere.

• handicraftafrica

Jafeth Moiane from handicraftafrica says:

Once again thank you for your advice! I think i have to improve something to sell much more.

• onefinedaisy

primlark from primlark says:

What a great article! Thank you!

• mirta

mirta from mipluseddesign says:

Thank you so much for this article, I find writing descriptions the hardest part of my job. I'm never quite happy with them and often go back and make adjustments. It's a never ending job.

• BountifulWoods

Colette and Kathlyn from BountifulWoods says:

Thanks for the help. I try to search for our items, particularly the vintage ones, after listing them. If I don't find them right away, I know we need to make changes to our description and key words. Getting less wordy for mobile devices is challenging since neither of us use them - we'll take all the help we can with that!

• mizziexoxo

Melissa from MizziexoxoBoutique says:

Thanks, some great tips here :)

• dezlefty

Sandra from SalvageChicStudio says:

thanks so much for this article - much need advice.

• jrenaes

Jenna May from amayzingstitches says:

Thanks for this very helpful advice!

• ThingsByLirAndNunik

Lir and Nunik from ThingsByLirAndNunik says:

thanks, this great tips here help us a lot!! (-:

• Emariecreations

Samantha from Emariecreations says:

Excellent article!

• PepitasStudio

Pepitas House from PepitasStudio says:

This is great advice. Thanks for sharing

• jillianmartineau
  • LieneKikuteDesigns

Liene from SilkArtbyLiene says:

• jaspruil

J.A. Reel from SweetIrisDesigns says:

I did not realize that so many people were accessing Etsy via their mobile devices! I need to work on making my descriptions more concise! Thanks so much.

• Hapagirls

Elan from HapaGirls says:

Great advice. I agree that your descriptions should evolve as our shops evolve.!! Thank you for the tips!!

• Kickitgirl

Angela Rae from VieVisuelleDesigns says:

I have found the opposite to be true in that using my "voice" and adding too much personality to my product descriptions (I used to give each item a name) has hurt my SEO (search engine optimization). My newest items would sit for weeks and weeks without a single view. After speaking to an extremely helpful Etsy staff, I dropped all of my Proper names for items and described them with just the facts. It has helped to up the number of views as found in searches. So instead of "Triple Dare Drops", I now call this "Three Hoops Long Earring". It feels boring, but this is how I've noticed people have searched. Now my goal is to boost my photography.

• kjazmin20

Jazmin Marquez from CuteMuseStationery says:

I will apply these tips. I need them. Thank you so much for sharing with us. :)

• RipCityRetro

Anna from RipCityRetro says:

This has been on the back of my mind for a long time. Thanks for the inspiring post! I just quit my job to make my Etsy store my career, so business is more important than ever for me. I'm going to brainstorm some new, and review my current descriptions now.

• sewdogsdesign

Donna from SewDogsDesign says:

Good Stuff! Thanks a bunch!

• CuriosAnCollectibles

Rosie from CuriosAnCollectibles says:

One my previous jobs involved writing antique auction catalogues, I find it difficult to keep my listings light and friendly. They end up being quite "starchy" and to the point, not letting any of my friendly personality shine throught. As I am aware of this, I do keep trying:))

• 777carolala

Caroline Barbosa from OldSoulVintageltd says:

Much needed, thanks!

• koiwachira

wachira wongaramwilai from WachiWachiShop says:

Thank you for tips.

• SqueakyCleanBath

Jennifer from SqueakyCleanBath says:

This is pretty helpful. I've never actually thought about using Etsy's search bar to view popular search terms before. Working on redoing some of my tags now!

• claudiabags

Claudia from ClaudiaBagDesigns says:

Great advice. Will definitely go over my listing descriptions and apply these great tips. THANKS!

• pekopekochan

pekopekochan says:

But if I could wish for one thing it would be that makers of jewelry include a picture of the item being worn by someone, not just their earrings from 12 different arty close-up perspectives. There's nothing that helps better with buying decisions than seeing just how long a necklace/earring is IMHO. Far easier to imagine if the item will look good on me. :)

• earthborngoddes

Shelly Schmidtling Johnson from earthborngoddes says:

So very helpful... Now to figure out how to bring my humor to the page?!! Great tips on search words, they are so important with this internet tool

• ButteryPanda

Ashley from BitterStore says:

Great tips, also great comments. It seems that finding the balance between practicality and personality is the way to go. Titles and main descriptions should be strong, practical, and search engine friendly. Descriptions can add a little pizzazz, but try not to add too much filler and fluff. Measurements are good, but description of size might be better (i.e. about the size of a quarter). The voice and main structure should be consistent through out your descriptions. I guess I have some work to do this week!

• kustomkitsch

Erin Elowe Proctor from saturn5studio says:

One thing that has worked well for me recently is repeating what my item is 2 to 3 times in the description, but using different keywords and description words from my title each time in order to make the most of my search-ability. This technique, plus adding a bit of my personal sense of humor has proven to be helpful in driving traffic to the shop. For example, lets say you sell a tee-shirt that has a cat flying a bi-plane on it. Your Title says "Women's Cat Pilot Tee, Airplane Cat tee-shirt, Aviator Cat Tee Shirt size Large". Among your 13 keywords you'll want to include some of the same words you've used in your Title such as Cat Pilot Shirt, Cat Tee Shirt, Bi-Plane Tee, Aviator Cat. Now you can write your description, and string words that appear in both your title and keywords together to make a few quarky lines that will also work for you in terms of search: "...Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a Cat flying a Bi-Plane on this fun womens tee shirt! This American Apparel top featuring our daring Cat Pilot comes in sizes S-XL. Your Aviator Cat tee also comes in your choice of colors..." I've mentioned what the item is 3 times in 3 different ways, and all 3 phrases appear in my title, description, and keywords. The item is described accurately with a little bit of humor and personality and with the benefit of select KEY keywords repeated. I'd try doing this for just a handful or your listings to see if it helps (don't stress yourself out over trying to do this to ALL 250 of your listings at first!). PS: anybody who's selling a women's tee featuring a cat flying a bi-plane, please send me the link so I can purchase.

• femalemartian

Helen from AndsotoSew says:

New to ETSY and to selling. Maybe just maybe this will help my new wee shop get a First time buyer..............keeping my fingers, eyes, legs crossed!. Thanks for the much appreciated info.

• johananunez

JOHANA NUNEZ from ArtIncendi says:

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing! :)

• bbroadfoot

Barbara Broadfoot from FootlessDesigns says:

I am new to Etsy and selling as well! Great tips in this article. Thanks!

• margheritaarrighi

margherita arrighi from margheritaarrighi says:

Great tips... I'm going to put into practice

• karolinabeveridge

Karolina Beveridge from bylne says:

This is great! Descriptions are definitely one of the areas where I have the most trouble when it comes to my shop. Love the idea of keeping tabs on which key words are working!

• lauragreenb

ArtisTerra from ArtisTerraBoutique says:

Thank you for great advice!

• farandtwee

Vintage Minnow from VintageMinnow says:

In my opinion..we have to consider all types of people. Not everyone prefers to READ every little detail. Personally, if a description is too long, I tend not to look over it, loses my interest. I prefer a "Punchy" "Fun" "To The Point" Description!!

• mekeshiajordan

Mekeshia from stinkncutemj says:

Great article! Great advice!

• moonlightdesigns2

Alona from MoonlightDesigns2 says:

Thank you for the advice! I try to put all of the important information for a listing within the first paragraph and then the rest in shorter paragraphs or just a sentence or two. It does make a difference, I rarely have anyone asking questions about things that are already in the description. There will always be some listings that need more in depth information but for the most part I think keeping it short and to the point but also being descriptive without boring the reader to death is very important.

• whateverworks

Andrea Nichole Still from WhateverWorks says:

Good advice! I have found my voice, but I have wondered what person I should use. Also, the keyword hints are very helpful. Thanks!

• itsbydesign

Lois Peterson from itsbydesign says:

I like the first person, personal touch. I think it's appealing when I like an item and wish I could have coffee with the artist!

• guziks

Stephanie from Phylogeny says:

I just rebranded, so I'm definitely in need of some description revamping. I just noticed during my own Etsy shopping this week on my phone that those first few lines of the description are much more important now on mobile devices than when the platform was geared for computer screens. I want to be sure that, in my new revised descriptions, those first few lines get the point across even more than they used to. Thanks for the swift kick in the pants! :)

• riverstonepottery

Hope Fregerio from RiverStonePottery says:

Great ideas! Thanks!

• ayseozceviz

Ayse Ozceviz from WoodoDesign says:

Thank you..

• steventu

Steven Tu from CreativeBySteven says:

Great advice! I create a template and write my descriptions in Microsoft Word, then copy and paste into the description area on Etsy.

• StudioDR

Ducky Rubin from StudioDjewelry says:

Thank you so much for this illuminating article!!! And I thought I knew everything about writing item descriptions...

• iworkartwork

Irma Galindo from iworkartwork says:

Very interesting... normally I have hard time with tags.... and descriptions..and... oh, well! Thank you for sharing!

• BeeGracious

Darrell and Frankie from BeeGracious says:

Thanks for sharing ~ So true.

• WalterSilva

Walter Silva from WalterSilva says:

Great info here!

• Krissykrull

Kristin Krull from CambaJewelry says:

I am obsessed with editing, rewriting, and posting fresh pictures in my shop. Thanks for this article!

• lindaahedman

Linda Hedman from artsylinda says:

Will start working. Thanks.

• voulashomemadeprodu1

Voula Kambouris from Voulashomemadeprod says:

Great info ,thanks.

• Oneofafeltkind

Carol from FeltPIZZAZZers says:

I edit and edit some more...now I'll edit some more! Thank you for the great article! :)

• mariemertilus

Marie Mertilus from HeiressVintage says:

Great tips. I am working on my pictures and description. This is exactly what I needed.

• brianamagnussen

Saundra Clare from GlassSlippersCC says:

How do the Etsy Bloggers keep reading my mind! Wizzards =)

• SunflowerGlassworks
  • MandarinaPrint

Clara from MandarinaPrint says:

Thank you for these tips. Every time I read my description and tags i find things to improve.

• FieldsOfVintage

C. Lydia from FieldsOfVintage says:

Informative article. Something to put on my list to do.

• ontheroadmama

Elaine Bitterman from ontheroadmama says:

Thank you for the tips. I will definitely be more aware and do some revamping.

• DesignerPillowShop

Samantha from DesignerPillowShop says:

Great article! I definitely need to apply some of these :)

• helencwalls

Helen.C. Walls from boutiqueboheme says:

Really helpful article - and comments from fellow sellers - thank you.

• pinksnakejewelry

pinksnakejewelry from pinksnakejewelry says:

Wonderful Post! Great Tips!!

• handmadebycecilia

Cecilia Escobar from HandmadebyCecilia says:

Awesome article and at a perfect timing!

• nycfashionconnection

Cynthia from nycfashionconnection says:

Great post! Helpful tips!! :-)

• fwalls65

Fred Wholley from PelekeArt says:

I think i have done a fun job to create descriptions for my items if anyone wants to stop by give some advice that would be AWESOME. : )

• LadyLyBoutique

Lady Ly from LadyLyBoutique says:

Great article with great advice. I did not think about being mobile friendly. Pictures should be mobile friendly too.

• maryyovkovich

Mary from HollybrookLane says:

Great Tips - There are only so many times you can say gorgeous or beautiful!!!!

• redscorpio

r s from redscorpio says:

Writing descriptions is the hardest part of creating new listings. Great tips!

• vintagecollectiblez

Mrs. Ward-Deesing from VintageHomeShoppe says:

Thanks for the tips. I tend to gravitate towards the pictures with clean shots of close ups, but I really hadn't given much thought to adding some "fun" to descriptions, but perhaps it could add a bit to it.

• Prink

Phing Chutima from CraftingMode says:

Thank you very much for the great suggestion : )\

• textilechicken

textilechicken from textilechicken says:

Thanks for this helpful advice and tips x

• GoGoSnap

GoGoSnap Vintage Invitations and Stationery from GoGoSnap says:

Such good points to remember!

• Dogdohr

Joanne Dohr from Dogdohr says:

A fun description I have used is "Show your love of dogs by wearing a unique show collar necklace!' I make dog show collars into necklaces for dog lovers.

• stitchbyzura

Zura from stitchbyzura says:

I need to improve on this...it's hard when English is not your first language, but I'm learning and try hard to improve. Thank you for this helpful advice

• katygurash

Katy from xoknits says:

Thank you for this helpful advice. As a new shop, it is difficult to find your voice, but this has inspired me to add more of myself into my descriptions.

353 days ago

• BonnetsBagsTreasures

Lisa Marie - Kimberly J - Renee Jane from BonnetsBagsTreasures says:

Good advice, thanks... I'm going to review my listing now. I like them to be short and sweet but not dry.

353 days ago

• PrairiePrimitives

Tana Taylor from PrairiePrimitives says:

Remember that if you're selling the same (or very similar) item on more than one web site, the title and description should be different in each place. I've heard at least 2/3 different, but I don't know if there's an actual number/percentage of difference. If you use the same (or very similar) title and/or description in multiple online venues, Google (and perhaps other search engines) may not index ANY of the same/similar listings!

353 days ago

• susangladd

Susan Gladd from GladCalligraphy says:

Very helpful. I recently edited all of my listings and background info...amazing how much trimming it needed...!

353 days ago

• applexiaopeng

tilisa from PandoraBracelet says:

I really like your work https://www.etsy.com/shop/PandoraBracelet?ref=si_shop

352 days ago

• kimberleeannPrims

Kim Brooks from kimberleeannPrims says:

The majority of my jewelry is purchased by older, retired women or a family member purchasing a gift for their mother or grandmother and I attempt to draw them back to the "days of old" in my product descriptions, giving thought to what life used to be like, before the online, technical world we live in today.

352 days ago

• thisnthattn

Nancy Beck from FMBVINTAGE says:

I just bought a "Unicorn Farts" lip balm because I went there from your article and was intrigued. Thanks for all the good info.

352 days ago

• belindaschumacher1

Belinda Schumacher from JunkInTheJewelryBox says:

A great help for me. I have been with Etsy less than a week. Thanks!!

351 days ago

• GilbertWear

Keellie Moore from GilbertWear says:

Thank you! if anyone has anymore advice to help me spread my work please help!

351 days ago

• musicflower67

Buddy Cushman from musicflower67 says:

Thank you for this helpful article. I generally feel good about my written descriptions, and the flavor of that writing. My biggest concern is getting views for my Shop. I have built it, but they haven't come.

351 days ago

• HannahKatarski

Hannah Katarski from MermaidsCoin says:

Thank you. Some great tips. I'm off to spruce my listings.

350 days ago

• lilyja

Lily Sharon from LilySharon says:

Thank you!

348 days ago

• deekish

Deeksha Lakshmi from TheColorWagon says:

Great tips. I have difficulty writing decent product descriptions. I think this will be a good start.

347 days ago

• seamsokay

Georgia Anderson from GeorgiaGorgeous says:

A lot of great tips - interesting that they are NOT all in agreement. I wonder if I should just be myself and say it the way I'd like to read it? Just have to remember those SEO's.

347 days ago

• CharmedFox

Julie Beers from CharmedFox says:

great tips thanks!

346 days ago

• susiecamden1

Susie Camden from BennyandMeDesigns says:

Thanks so much for your ideas and tips. This is something I really need to work on, thanks for the inspiration.

346 days ago

• Kisskissay

Elena Pulido from KisKissay says:

Thank you so much for all the information, I'm going to put it in practice asp I'm always having trouble with my descriptions, and go to etsy bar to find similar items to be able to describe my item. Kiskissay

344 days ago

• WorldscapeImagery

Cindy-anne Wilkins from WorldscapeImagery says:

I need to work on this. very helpful thankyou..

343 days ago

• carolwatson152

Carol A. Watson from CarolAWatsonArt says:

Bravo ... just what I needed as I tweak my new shop to find those lovers of horses, dogs, feathers and such!

340 days ago

• QuietUnrest

QuietUnrestVintage from QuietUnrest says:

Thank you so much for sharing this info, it's been an eye opener for me.

337 days ago

• iDesignStationery

iDesign Stationery from iDesignStationery says:

It's a learning process for sure and what works for one shop, may not work for another. I think too many people get the idea to open a shop and instantly hit the 'register' button, rather then first getting prepared. It took 2.5 months of reading and research before iDesign Stationery was a fact.

336 days ago

• andreaketchens

Andrea Ketchens from PatsapearlsBoutique says:

wonderful inspiring information thanks

335 days ago

• myonlysunshine09

Heather Demers from SunshineMamaBoutique says:

Thank you for these wonderful tips and guidelines! As a new shop owner I love these and the advice always ends up helping a great deal as I grow!

333 days ago

• gypsygirlfashions

Carol Joy from gypsygirlfashions says:

Some of the best descriptions I've read so far are from the shop MullishMuse ...they sell finger puppets and their descriptions are so funny! I tend to be conversational in my item descriptions and I like to be funny too, but it depends on the item. I loved your article, and the Ground Control to Major Tom....that's my kind of humor! Carol Joy

333 days ago

• BurlapBasketsandBows

Tamie Robinson from BurlapBasketsandBows says:

Great Article,,,I. Am a newbie,,,always wondering if I am presenting my shop well !!! thank you. great tips!

332 days ago

• buttercupsbabi22
  • janicewhitmore1

Janice Whitmore from SantosDolls says:

I really enjoyed this article and the comments. My shop is just a year old. I've had a lot of activity, but no sales. My life is really busy right now and I haven't paid as much attention as I should, but after reading the comments, I intend to take time to re-do my descriptions. My heart goes out the the women who said they feel like they lost their voice after "paring down" their descriptions. I believe we should be true to who we are. Doing that will keep our enthusiasm for what we do. Thanks for the information.

329 days ago

• Pixie2428

Doris C. from SewBeautifulbyDC says:

Thank you for the great tips !

326 days ago

• berrypatchusa

Rene Berry from BerryPatchUSA says:

Good article! One thing I do is every time I renew a listing is to give the title and description another "once over". This method is particularly helpful for spotting clumsy sentences and unanswered questions that I didn't notice when I first wrote the description. It's hard to spot these things when you initially write the description because YOU know what you mean, and often mentally fill in the missing information. After taking a break from it the unanswered questions are more obvious.

326 days ago

• binghai

lucy from binghai says:

A lot of things are not, but also in learning, those of great help to me, thank you!

324 days ago

• RomanceCatsAndWhimsy

Darlene Jones from RomanceCatsAndWhimsy says:

Great information - I need that! Thank you.

324 days ago

• CinnabarAndSienna

Richard Harvey Allsop from RichardHarveyAllsop says:

a great article, with some interesting pointers

323 days ago

• Outbackpatch

Margaret Slater from Outbackpatch says:

Thank you for this article. Very good information for me to apply to my shop.

322 days ago

• hickoryridgesoaps

hickoryridgesoaps from HickoryRidgeSoaps says:

Writing interesting descriptions has always been a struggle for me, so thank you for the great tips!

321 days ago

• splendorlocity

splendorlocity from splendorlocity says:

Very useful and concise ideas. Thanks!

319 days ago

• rhodesofrandoms

Dana Leigh Rhodes from aBroadSelection says:

Such helpful tips. I enjoy writing my listings so much, but I struggle with tone a lot because I generally write how I would talk. I'll have to look over my descriptions to make sure I'm consistent between products I'm attached to in some way and those that I'm not. Thank you!

319 days ago

• bubblewan

vera wan from SereneLifeDesign says:

thanks for tips/..

307 days ago

• audreyjoy2

Audrey from TwoCatsVintage says:

Great article! Thanks for the advice.

307 days ago

• annecorr1

anne corr from modestly says:

need to digest and act on this! Than k you so much for great advice.

304 days ago

• inblagrove

Niki Blagrove from DarlingPies says:

Great information. Thanks for putting it out!

304 days ago

• GrandmaDede

GrandmaDede from GrandmaDede says:

Very helpful and informative! I'm constantly tweeking my descriptions tags and titles!

296 days ago

• malcomms

malcolm haines from SellTheOld says:

great post! I'm always changing my words around to give a better description of my items. Sometimes, when browsing on Etsy, I come across new names for things I am selling, or their classifications, or even features. Then it's a quick check with the online dictionary...then I contact the store owner I got the idea from and ask them if I can use it! As a silent 'thank you' for people I get this info from, I always follow them, fave their shop etc etc...

295 days ago

• SeaBreezeJewels

Cindy Patrick from CedarCreekSoaps1 says:

Great info, thanks

279 days ago

• emmasnana

Shirley Freeman from Thefabricofmylife says:

when I list an item and don't use my personality, I get very bored. I love telling stories about growing up in the 50s and 60's. it was so much fun and most of the things that I list I had one like it or my mom did. enjoy the ride , you can learn a lot.

278 days ago

• anothertimeantiques

Barbara Boyce from AnotherTimeAntiques says:

I have made it a practice to focus on edits and rewriting as much as I do on listing. It does make a difference. This is a great article!

278 days ago

• ashleigheg

Ashleigh Egbert from MonkeesYarns says:

I've made an effort to focus on gearing my item descriptions to my target market. It is difficult, since I am not in my target market, and I have a hard time bragging up my work! Thanks for the pointers.

276 days ago

• ankagarden

AnkaGarden from AnkaGarden says:

Great advice. Helps a lot to, particularly to new shop owners. Thanks!

275 days ago

• veronicamccrary

Veronica McCrary from CoCosSoyCandles says:

Thanks so much fir the great tips they really are a big help. I still pretty new to Etsy and one thing I feel I'm not good at is the writing part so I will be working on writing a better description. I love learning how I can improve my shop. I came to Etsy with no idea on how to set up a shop and these newsletters have a lot of great info for those who are just starting out!

270 days ago

• xmusani

Dennis chelogoi from Heritagetreasure says:

Brilliant piece being an amateur this gives me the bang! somebody had to kick some of up & may be it is this article.thank you again

269 days ago

• abenhorin

talia benhorin from MANDALASSHOP says:

thank you for the tips.I understand I have a lot of work. BUT - I sell mandala paintings and still have a problem.

268 days ago

• lakescapesllc

lakescapesllc from DesignsFromMyHeart2U says:

Thank you for all of the brillant and interesting information !!!

266 days ago

• mafamosa

Marcelo Santos from Craftissimo says:

Thank you. Very helpful article!

258 days ago

• ivannagutina

Iva Gutina from MoonSisterBeads says:

Awesome tips!

257 days ago

• dkmommy

Diane Kidman from PuebloAndCo says:

I used to write catalog descriptions for a living, but this article has made me rethink what I'm doing. My Etsy shop is new, so I sort of flew back into that description writing place I was in so long ago. Problem is, those catalogs were straightforward and contained very little "sparkle," according to my boss' wishes. Ironically, I'm a humor writer when I'm not beading something. Do I have humor in my descriptions? No. I think I've also forgotten my audience. In my old job, the audience was a professional lot, not taken in by fancy words. But here? It's a creative group of shoppers looking for something unique. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of rewriting to do.

255 days ago

• payMeNpeonies

Shawna from CityGirlAntiques says:

I'm always looking for ways to tweak my shop for exposure and description clarity. Thanks for the great advice!!

248 days ago

• Inspirations58

Mary from ThreadsForMary says:

I am new to the wonderful world of Etsy selling. Thanks to all who took the time to share their experience. I'm excited by the opportunities that Etsy offers.

247 days ago

• infectedbubble

Aria Ionfhabhtaithe from infectedBubble says:

Although our shop is just over a month old, we've been tying to follow any great advice we xan get from Etsy's lovely community and as we pogress so does our little shop! We invest a lot of hard wok but it slowly pays off. Thank you for sharing such great advice :)

247 days ago

• sparkles4life

Maxine Adjei from sparkles4life says:

Great advice. Very informative. Thankyou.

246 days ago

• Craftelina

vik and ig from Craftelina says:

Thank you for this summary. Very good to refresh.

246 days ago

• Brigette58

Joyce from CaughtMyEyeDesigns says:

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks for the great article.

242 days ago

• RoseGardenStitches

diana from RoseGardenStitches says:

So glad I took the time to read these tips. I understand true prosperity comes from God's favor. And godly wisdom is the key for it promotes a healthy outlook in business that is good for the seller and the buyer so that all win. It makes sense to write true and accurate descriptions with personality, but no false flattery such as " If you buy this, everyone one will love you" for that is not in the buyers best interest, only the sellers. Be Blessed today

238 days ago

• dkimmons

Donna Kimmons from LadybugBowShop says:

Thanks for the helpful information. I am always looking for ways to improve people finding my shop.

234 days ago

• yourlifeuncorked

Randy and Lisa Smith from Yourlifeuncorked says:

Thanks for sharing this information with us. It definitely has me thinking about how i will bereworking some of my descriptions. I copy a lot of my listings so the same verbiage it used over and over again. I will absolutely change some of the listings up and look forward to tracking the results. A side note, I went to the "unicorn farts" lip balm shop and placed an order. Can't wait to try it. She has great descriptions for her listings, and makes you so interested in her products you have to try them.

227 days ago

• shelsee

Sam from ShelseeDesigns says:

Thank you for this very interesting article. Will read it through thoroughly and put my wheels in motion.

226 days ago

• normasbath

Norma from normasbath says:

Oh this is very Interesting! I appreciate all tips. it doesn't matter if you've been selling for a month or 4 years. we all could use some Advice. thank you!

225 days ago

• excursion55

BUJING MA from excursion55 says:

Thank you. Very helpful article!

218 days ago

• desyta

Cocomotional Coco from CocomotionalDesigns says:

Thanks so much for this article.. I am reading and implementing all the good advice I can find. Like everyone.. working to make the dream a reality. I welcome all input about my shop, my copy and my work... and of course all "likes" and referrals.

195 days ago

• tammylynn17

Tammy King from OurVintageBungalow says:

I love the suggestion of using your voice but also remaining professional. As a shopper myself, I love hearing someone's personality come through, but when it comes down to it, I'm more interested in the product than in them.

187 days ago

• jennapavlotzky

Jenna Pavlotzky from JrpArt says:

great advice! thanks!!

187 days ago

• phankhamjit

Somchit Phankham from BanbaanHANDiCRAFTs says:

Thanks for sharing. Very useful!

177 days ago

• BeaconMills

Patrick from BeaconMills says:

I like to write what inspired the item as well as all the particulars about its construction in order to inform the shopper of how much work and detailing has gone into each piece. It does consume a bit of space but, I feel it's necessary. What else can I do?

176 days ago

• DragonflyzDen

HMM from DragonflyzDen says:

This is fantastic information for newbies like me! Thank you!

173 days ago

• GTDesigns

renee and gerardo from GTDesigns says:

extremely helpful!!! i really like Gittit's measurement theory....makes total sense!! TFS!!

172 days ago

• Kashuen

Kashuen Collectibles from Kashuen says:

Important tips. Thank you so much.

166 days ago

• tammyrussell88

Tammy L Russell from TammysFindings says:

Thank you so much for the tips. I am going to be a busy lady in the next few days changing some descriptions. As I have been reading them some are so boring and do not get to the gist of the product, especially the ones I first started out with 2 years ago.

166 days ago

• kartism

Kim Archie from KartisimDesign says:

WONDERFUL Tips! I'm saving these on my "business" board on interest for future use! Thanks for sharing...

166 days ago

• iakurniasih

Ia Kurniasih from SimpleCurveDesign says:

Very helpful, thanks!

165 days ago

• TooTooVintageMarket

Terry Dwyer from TooTooVintageMarket says:

I decided to develop a "format" for my descriptions that would be easy to read, yet provide all the information a buyer would like to know. I use the "format" for every listing. It is also a good idea to look at the questions buyers ask....ie: I had several buyers ask how many cups each tea pot would hold. so now, in addition to including the size of the tea pot, I also include its cup capacity. These were all great suggestions and ideas!

163 days ago

• korenkwan

Koren Kwan from GarasuWonderland says:

Great tips, thank you~

161 days ago

• Mzcarley

Carley Marston from CarleysCornerStudio says:

Awesome article. I really have a hard time describing my own artwork. When it comes to someone elses artwork I have no problem coming up with a description for that. But for myself I am totally speechless

158 days ago

• charlenesbags

Charlene Owens from charlenesembroidery says:

Recently, I found a description I had written when I first opened my shop. I was shocked at the difference between then and now. Thank you for the reminder to always take a fresh look at our descriptions.

157 days ago

• GisieArt

Giselle from MyArtAndFashion says:

Thanks for the tips! I have a lot of work, checking my listings and rewriting them.

152 days ago

• jewelrybyrareearth

Virginia Tucker from JewelrybyRareEarth says:

I have been with Etsy for a few years now. At first I just posted my jewelry and that was all I done. I mistakingly thought that was all I needed. I have found the more involved I am with Etsys' teams. articles and helpful tips like these have improved the number of hits I get and my sales are getting better. Plus this was a reminder to freshen up things and maybe redo some photos and descriptions. GO ETSY!!!

146 days ago

• sheilatraynor

Sheila Traynor from DesignbySheila says:

I'm brand new to selling on Etsy, I'm at the stage of loving creating but taking time for the narrative. Still finding my 'Etsy Personality'. How to express my enthusiasm whilst ensuring the customer needed facts are there. Thanks for these helpful articles.

144 days ago

• le7lune

Ilaria D. Dessi from Le7Lune says:

Thanks to all of you for the precious information, also the post are very helpful.

141 days ago

• Joystreet

Marilyn from Joystreet says:

strangely enough despite having photos of my items with US coins to show size I used to frequently get questions about size. As I will be reopen ing my shop this weekend, these are great points to consider when I list the items boxed up in my studio and ready to find new homes.

123 days ago

• siliconemolds101

succes siliconemolds from siliconemolds101 says:

Thanks for the GREAT ideas.

121 days ago

• Craftelina

vik and ig from Craftelina says:

Love these tips!

116 days ago

• ninedragons

Elizabeth England from ninedragons says:

Terrific tips...so glad to have stumbled across them. I revise my listings every time one comes up for renewal...practice, practice, practice. Thanks.

106 days ago

• allwood1

allwood1 from AllWoodToo says:

Lots to think about ....I really need help in this arena...

88 days ago

• Dashrathint

Dashrath International from DashrathInt says:

very informative and helpful....thank you!

82 days ago

• Kashuen

Kashuen Collectibles from Kashuen says:

Get Mobile-Friendly is a really good idea. But I have 2 kids who really like to play games on the phone, so... I decided NOT to get a smart phone, so there is no temptations for me and my kids. If my shop looks funny on your smart phone, please please please let me know, so I can make some changes. Thanks!

82 days ago

• dottyrainbows

Dotty Rainbow from DottyRainbows says:

As a new shop owner and after reading this - I checked through my listings. Already changed a few of them - not built up a huge stock list as yet so didn't take too long. Still wondering how to get my mirrors to the forefront though? Any advice welcome...

74 days ago

• suemako

Sue from SuesAkornShop says:

Thanks! This is very helpful.

74 days ago

• myrarya

One Clutch from OneClutch says:

Thank you, this was very useful. Will definitely apply it to my shop.

66 days ago

• PolkaDotsandSwirls

Melanie from CherryhillStudioClay says:

Thank you. I'm just starting out as a seller and need all the advice I can get.

46 days ago

• edcustom

kai zhang says:

amazing article, it really helps me a lot

14 days ago

• gnatek413

John Gnatek from GnatekBrothersStudio says:

I let my work speak for itself. Things and places change all the time. Enjoy!

10 days ago

• TriStarDesign

Alexandra Thelin Blackowski from TriStarDesign says:

Super helpful. Thank you so much - I greatly appreciate it.

7 days ago