The Etsy Blog

4 Smart Strategies for Setting Up Your Shop

amycuevasschroeder

Strategy isn’t just for war heroes and investment bankers. Many of Etsy’s most successful sellers use strategy — defined in the dictionary as “the art of devising a plan” — to increase their sales. As Nancy Pelosi once said, “Organize, don’t agonize.”

Whether you’re a brand-new or seasoned seller, it’s never too early (or too late) to craft strategies to help your shop grow. Luckily for me, Seth Kushner of SethKushnerPrints allowed me to go behind the scenes of his brand-new shop to collaborate on critiquing and strategizing his next steps. Seth is a self-employed New York photographer who’s freelanced for loads of publications ranging from Vibe to The New York Times Magazine. He’s published two books, The Brooklynites and Leaping Tall Buildings: The Origins of American Comics, and he sells limited-edition prints of his photography in his Etsy shop.

Seth Kushner sells prints of photographs that are featured in his books, such as this one (above right) of Captain America creator Joe Simon.

Are you ready to create your own shop strategy? Take a look at four strategies that Seth and I put to the test.

1. Identify Your Ideal Customer

Do you know who your ideal customer is?

Whether you want to attract trendsetting twentysomethings, busy moms, green thumbs, world travelers, or none of the above, you need to identify your core demographic. As you’re producing products, think about your hopeful customers’ characteristics, such as their age, the climate they live in, income level, and personal tastes. This information will inform your every move as you’re setting up your shop and appealing to your target market.

In Seth’s case, a number of his prints feature Star Wars action figures and iconic comic-book creators, so he identifies his target audience as primarily males, ages 28–50, who earn disposable incomes and are fans of sci-fi and superheroes.

2. Create Your Unique Brand

What makes you interesting? What’s your shop’s overall visual aesthetic? If you had to summarize your products in two sentences or less, what would you say?

The answers to these questions will help you to form the essence of your brand, which marketing expert and Etsy seller Dixie Laite says is about providing a promise to your customer. “A brand is an expectation of experience,” she says. “A brand is really just consistent perception, and when we talk about branding, we’re talking about creating and crafting that perception.”

In Seth’s case, he decided to take a simple, “traditional artist” approach by naming his shop after himself. He’s already built a reputation as a photographer, so he doesn’t need to create a moniker to describe his brand. Seth’s brand strategy is unique to him, and he’s just beginning to develop it on Etsy; depending on your goals, you may want to create a clever shop name that captures the collective voice of your items. “I want my overall visual aesthetic to express eye-catching, high-quality, modern photography that’s inspired by pop culture,” Seth says.

If you haven’t fleshed out your shop’s brand, no worries. Brand development is a process that all companies and solopreneurs refine over time. A great way to get started with crafting your personal and shop brand is to tell your story in your About page — learn how to create an About page here.

Read more tips about branding and graphics in The Seller Handbook and in Dixie Laite’s brand advice column.

Seth Kushner also sells images of New York culture, such as this one of Coney Island.

3. Check Out Your Competition

One of the easiest ways to figure out how you stack up against similar shops is to study them. Browse and search for shops selling similar products and take a good look at how they market themselves. Do all of their products fit into a cohesive brand? What do you like most about their shop? How much do their items cost? How many items have they sold since they opened? If they have high sales, click on their social media buttons to see how they’re promoting themselves on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Luckily for Seth, there aren’t many photographers who specialize in sci-fi and superhero culture, but there are a number of photographers who sell prints of New York cityscapes and monuments, which Seth also sells. When he researched his competition, he found that he’s pricing his New York prints at nearly double his competition, which might actually work to his advantage. “I think some shoppers associate higher price points with higher quality,” Seth says, noting that he wants to experiment with different price points to see what sells.

Read A Simple Formula for Pricing Your Work.

4. Get Into the Art of Search

Nailing the art of being found on Etsy requires time, experimentation, and analysis of your Shop Stats to assess whether your listings are working.

Item titles are of utmost importance, and it’s essential to use all 13 search tags because they represent the keywords that allow items to be searchable by potential customers. Make sure the title and tags are relevant and specific — it’s better to describe an item’s color, style, and physical attributes than it is to be broad, vague, or use cute adjectives.

When I met with Seth, we discovered that he wasn’t using all of his tags and that he may benefit from expanding his item titles. For example, he listed this photograph as simply “C3PO.” Shoppers may be more likely to find the item if he alters the title to something like “Limited-Edition Close-up Photo of Vintage Star Wars C3PO 1977 Action Figure.”

Read more tips about getting found in Search in The Seller Handbook.

With his clear understanding of his target audience, unique niche, and eagerness to improve his listings, Seth is off to a superhero start.

Those are just a handful of strategies to grow your shop. What smart and creative plans have worked for you? Share your ideas in comments.

Seller Handbook Best-Of Archives | How to Grow Your Shop Without Losing Your Mind

3 Featured Comments

• SusanFaye

Susan Faye from SusanFayePetProjects says: Featured

I think it helps to replace the word "branding" (it has negative connotations for me too) with the idea of just being true to a message, a look, a theme-- creating a visual identity that makes people say-- "oh, there's a Susan Faye- [insert your own name], I love her work!!"

• AmyCuevasSchroeder Admin

Amy Schroeder says: Featured

Thanks for all the great feedback about the concept of branding. When I first started thinking about branding for small businesses and solopreneurs, I felt a little funky about it, too. But when I started thinking of branding as storytelling or a succinct way to describe someone's art, it made me realize that branding doesn't always have to be associated with corporate culture. I think more and more artists and creative people are embracing the concept of "personal branding" because it empowers them to reach their goals and define success on their own terms.

• sethkushner1

Seth Kushner from SethKushnerPrints says: Featured

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It seem everyone's wanting to talk about "branding." For me, that term isn't about my deciding upon a look I think will sell, but instead it's about my figuring out how to use my aesthetic, the "style" that comes out of me, which I can't help but utilize, and making sure all of my work, my personal website, my blog, my twitter and facebook, and my etsy shop are consistent. Everything I make comes from all of my influences and experiences, filtered through my brain, and that becomes my "BRAND." It's true and honest and it's uniquely me. I'm not a marketing person or a corporate person, so I'm not incredibly great at figuring out how to sell this thing I do, but I've been making an effort to learn. I think a lot of etsy sellers have this in common with me, which is why articles like this are so helpful.

• StillVintage

StillVintage from StillVintage says:

Wonderful advise. Thank you for such a great article.

• mazedasastoat

mazedasastoat from mazedasastoat says:

I find the whole concept of "branding" makes me feel like a wannabee corporation, when actually I'm an individual making unique, one-off items. I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of using my private life as a selling point, regardless of whether or not I have cute pets (which I do) or an immaculate workspace (which I most definitely don't!) However, a cohesive "look" to all the photos, despite it being imitated more & more by other sellers, is something I believe helps customers to find my items. Also, I put effort into designing unique matching business stationery, so every package has a cohesive feel as well. I think it's much more important to be who you really are than to spend too much time worrying about whether you've developed your own personal self as a selling stategy.

• WhisperingOak

Quality Handmade Items from WhisperingOak says:

So much to learn from this article. Search is so important. I have found that tagging and finding those phrases unearth your items and when people find you they love your product and take it home.

• 118jan

Janette from AmericanDollClothes says:

Thank you for the article, really great advise.

• OxOriginalArtJewelry

Patsy Oxley from OxArtJewelry says:

Thanks for reminding me of 'strategies' we all need to keep in mind but too easily forget in our artistic pursuits!

• thedelhistore

thedelhistore from theDelhiStore says:

What a great article! Really useful!

• hearttohomecreations

Ashley Mary Dunlop from Heart2HomeCreations says:

get article very informative! thank you!

• auntjanecan

Jane Priser from JanePriserArts says:

Some things to think about.

• PrettywithSprinkles

PrettywithSprinkles from PrettywithSprinkles says:

fantastic article and it was most helpful! thanks!

• elisabethringewald

Elisabeth Ringewald from MaineCoonCrafts says:

I just cannot wrap my head around "branding" , it is the buzzword that I hear everywhere today, brand yourself, your business, your lifestyle, I keep kicking it around because I am afraid of being pigeon-holed. Will do more research, Thanks, Great Info...

• solocosmo

Jessica Grundy from solocosmo says:

I love these articles

• GaryRam

Gary and Heather from littleRamstudio says:

As newbies to etsy these articles are just what we need to help give us useful info on how to make a go of our little shop. Especially liked the pointers on how to get into searches. All we need to know now is how to turn viewers into customers! More articles like these please!

• volkerwandering

Jess from volkerwandering says:

This is super helpful & I will definitely be showing this article to my friends who are thinking about opening an Etsy shop!

• FergusonsJewelry

Thomas and Jo Ferguson from FergusonsFineJewelry says:

This was exactly what I was needing to read this morning! It also provided some great links for further reading. As a fairly new store, it is a little overwhelming, but this really gave me something concrete to work with. Thanks for a great article! ~Jo

• glynniskillen

Diane and Glynnis from DiGiJewels says:

Very informative article, lucky Seth!

• SoyNutsPaperCo

Andrea from SoyNutsPaperCo says:

Thanks for the great article! I really like the part about creating your brand. Shop aesthetics are important – there should be an overall “look” to a shop even if the products vary.

• ulovejewelry
  • mfrawley

Mary Frawley (Calligraphette Ltd) from Calligraphette says:

Amy thank you for giving us a peek into Seth's process. Seth best of luck with your new shop - action hero's rock! xx

• ulovejewelry

Universal Love Jewelry from ULoveJewelry says:

Seth, love your NY photos,,we're from Brooklyn :)

• IsabellaDiSclafani

Isabella Di Sclafani from IsabellaDiSclafani says:

As a painter and sculptor, I can relate to the subject of "branding". Art is subjective and so when I purchase another artist's work, I am just as interested in finding out who they are in real life. It helps identify what their art is about and why they make it. It completes the story, so to speak.

• SusanFaye

Susan Faye from SusanFayePetProjects says: Featured

• stephanie2105

Estefanía Garcia from LesFleursdemonAmour says:

I loved this information, I've been in etsy for only a month (TODAY IS MY ETSY MONTH-AVERSARY) and I've been struggling to get my store out there, I guess it does takes a lot of research and effort to work on a TECHNIQUE that will help you to be succesful. please more articles like this...I need them ;)

• MegansMenagerie

Megan from MegansMenagerie says:

Such great advice! Thanks for sharing! :)

• sarahkdesigns

Sarah from sarahkdesigns says:

I think how you think of your creations as a brand depends on what you sell. We all have different visions of what we think we are ourselves and what our potential customers might be. "Would you buy from yourself if you were someone like you" is often the most useful question. Then the vertical thinking follows: how would you find your things? Those answers should help you with tags and titles. I might have the fashion sense of Johnny Cash, but I live in a colorful house with a lot of colorful things, but that doesn't mean that my every customer is just like me or entirely knowable. For some of us - being unstrategic works because there is a chance that something that you haven't considered factors into someone deciding to make a purchase. For all the well made plans and calculations, there is a bit of serendipity in most things. Sometimes we over-think things to the point of absurdity.

• PennyBirchWilliams

Penny Birch-Williams from PennyBirchWilliams says:

Challenging steps for all of us still in the early months of having an etsy shop. I chose to use my own name as my shop name because I started as a traditional painter of canvases, and already had my work online elsewhere. I've expanded to painting other things and I'm not sure how it works regarding branding and cohesiveness, but I do think it brings more people in to look. I don't want to limit myself to only one kind of art done one way, when I am capable of- and enjoy doing - many kinds. I suppose if it becomes too scattered looking I could have a second shop, but it's too soon for that decision. Even with constant work on titles, tags and so on, I find views to be unpredictable and varies a lot week to week. It's an ongoing project! And as for my target audience, I'm not sure how to identify them! Probably young to middle-aged home-owning nature lovers! People with room on their walls and shelves, who love oceans, forests, rivers, animals, color...! Not sure how to appeal to one particular group of people...the article mentions how knowing this will influence your moves to market your work, but not *how*, so maybe more on this subject in a future post? Thanks for the article!

• Infinitiplus1

Shari from Infinitiplus1 says:

Very good and handy information. Keep it up!

• littlepancakes

Melissa Pancakes from littlepancakes says:

I think branding has been the most important thing for me. Having people like the brand and recognize it on and off etsy is not only really exciting but has definitely helped sales.

• PomDecors

ElleJay from 20thCenturyKitchen says:

Except for the sound advice concerning a title better written for SEO, not much useful here, at least for my shops. My customer base fits into no demographic categories. I don't make my items, so there is nothing to brand. The more competition I have on Etsy, the better -- because we will most likely be selling related, but not identical, items -- which is awesome for shoppers. Being found on Etsy is not a huge concern for me since my buyers are not finding me that way in most cases.

• needleandfelt

Amy from needleandfelt says:

Thanks, Amy for the helpful article. I also liked Susan Faye's comment that branding can have a negative connotation and rewording it with something else like being true to a message or a visual identity takes the edge off of things. I love clean minimal design and try to express that in my creations, font, using my favorite colors, and repeat them so people can remember. Best wishes, Seth!

• WoodlandCottage

WoodlandCottage from WoodlandCottage says:

One easy way to grow your shop is to put in your two cents' worth by commenting on stuff. People see your avatar, and surf over to your shop! (Feel free to stop by any time!)

• hollandcheri

Cheri Holland from PhotographybyCheri says:

Great article with useful advice. i just opened my shop a month ago and will try to tweek it using these tips.

• Parachute425

Parachute425 from Parachute425 says:

So I decided this is the year of SEO for me. Learn it, know it, love it. But when you make widgets, you title them widgets, you tag them widgets, you list and relist your widgets and they still don’t show up in searches or browse, it makes you want to throw up your hands and rely on the fates. Thanks for the kick – I’ll read all the articles mentioned – again.

• gescate

Gino Escate from Gygante says:

Thanks!

• SomeKindOfPretty

Catheryn Dallenbach from SomeKindOfPretty says:

Such great advice!! I am always looking for ways to expand my shop!

• AmyCuevasSchroeder Admin

Amy Schroeder says: Featured

• judithreil

Judith Reil from ReilWildThings says:

Great article. To me this is a neverending learning process but I Love it.Stop by ReilWildThings and convo me. Thanks

• betherfly22

Beth Belanger from LovejoyEstate says:

Thank you for this! Perfect timing, as I just started my shop about 1.5 months ago and while I had a great start, sales have been lagging for the last two weeks.

• kpoklemba

Katie Schmitt from PassengerSeatArt says:

Great tips. Very clear and easy to understand ideas. I used to run a retail store and turning the idea of branding a shop to branding my own Etsy page seems intimidating. However, after reading this I am thinking that my branding is like the visual merchandising of my shop. All the retail rules I learned were to tell a story and make sure that items complimented each other. When you look at the categories in your shop and the things you love to create, you can create a story of who you are as an artist. Thanks!! ( I love how helpful Etsy is with all the advice everywhere you turn :)

• NadinArtGlass

Nadin Sandler from NadinArtGlass says:

great article!!!!

• IlluminatedPerfume

Roxana from IlluminatedPerfume says:

I completely agree with you @Amy about "personal branding", that is the approach I've taken with my work/shop. I began with my core purpose and and grew my branding from that sacred fountain.

• dbabcock

Deb Babcock from BlueSkyPotteryCO says:

Even though I've been with Etsy almost since the beginning, there is still always something new to learn. In the beginning there is so much to do to get set up -- from choosing a name, learning how to best photograph your work, which tags, titles and descriptions are going to get you found. Once you've got that down, then refining your shop, your image and your brand is the next step. Although I still don't have branding totally integrated into my shop, my goal has been to make unique and distinctive pieces that people know came from my mind and creativity. Still a work in progress....

• JackieDoremus

Jaclyn Doremus from TheLandofCraft says:

Excellent article with wonderful ideas/tips. It never hurts to occasionally assess your shop and see where things can be improved, etc. Thanks!

• TheRobinsTree

Robin from TheRobinsTree says:

Thanks for the great advice!

• BrightSpotDesigns

Bright Spot Designs from BrightSpotDesigns says:

Good read! I think branding is giving your items a "look" that can be recognized as yours alone.

• Savvon
  • FeelYourLook

Katherine Mills from MysticalHeart7 says:

Amazing Article! Alot of great advice here to consider!

• GoldenBeam

Sophia from GoldenBeam says:

Thank your for all the ideas, you make them all seem very doable and not complicated to put into practice. I think what you said in the beginning about knowing who your customer is or who you would like them to be plays a big part on aiming right, even thinking about little things like what is the best time to list or renew new items. I sell baby accessories, so I know that busy parents are more likely to be browsing the internet after their kids bed time and are more likely to find my items then.

• ManInTheMoonHerbs

ManInTheMoonHerbs from ManInTheMoonHerbs says:

Good, solid tips! Branding is so important. It was very exciting when people started recognizing my "brand" from Etsy when I was selling at farmers' markets!

• salonindulge

Shawna Swann from salonindulge says:

Creating a brand isn't as easy as I thought....

• minkeebabygifts

Debra and Gary Jordan from MinkyBabyGifts says:

15 years ago it was my dream to sell on the internet. It was a battle to get a merchant account, customer trust was next to impossible to gain. I even remember brick and mortar store campaigns regarding the 'dangers' of purchasing over the web! It still amazes me how Etsy, and fellow Etsians, have helped us to become successful by sharing free, quality training such as this post. Asking ourselves these three questions are worth hundreds of hours of research: 1 What makes you interesting? 2. What’s your shop’s overall visual aesthetic? 3. If you had to summarize your products in two sentences or less, what would you say? Our sales rep used to say "People like a story, tell them a story and you will make a customer for life".

• JackieDoremus

Jaclyn Doremus from TheLandofCraft says:

By the way, I am one who sells a few different crafty things. While creating a unique shop name I wanted to make sure I wasn't too restrictive, for example "JaclynsWreaths" or something like that only to look back on it in a few months and realize it didn't describe my entire shop. I hope and think I did that by the name I chose. Your shop banner and announcement can help with that too!

• gboliver

Gail Oliver from AttentionGetting says:

Knowing who you are selling to is so important. You cannot target your promotional efforts otherwise.

• dottywalker

Dotty Walker from SewThoughtfulBlanket says:

Great advice. Thanks!

• FischerFineArts

Mel Fischer from FischerFineArts says:

Definitely some great tips worth following. Thank you for sharing.

• joyofvintagewithsam

Sandy Millman from joyofvintagewithsam says:

it's all good, brief and to the point advice. Perfect for the A D D me. Will contemplate and restructure. Thank ya thank ya.

• ebkriley

EBK Riley from DeeAndFee says:

Thank you for the very concise, very helpful information. Much more useful than vague talk of finding a niche in the market and filling it...

• MagMoment

Hazel Berger from MagMoment says:

Thanks for specifically using a photographer as the example here!

• TMutzCreates

t francis mutzel from TMutzCreates says:

...good tips ...thank you!

• SnowFallStudios

Kristen from SnowFallStudio says:

Branding is a scary idea. I've tried to make the concept of branding more manageable by striving to have a consistent style instead. Over the past year my shop has grown slowly and steadily, though there's always room for improvement. SEO is a puzzle I'm still trying to decipher. More tips about that would be welcome!

• samthecrafter

shirley martin from samthecrafter says:

As far as identifying you ideal customer, how do you know how old they are and how much money they make?

• TheTailoredCookie

Susan Dobbs from TheTailoredCookie says:

I love Etsy's willingness to help all of us get the most out of our Etsy stores. :)

• KittyStoykovich

Kitty Stoykovich from KittyStoykovich says:

Good read and lots of info! Thanks :) no matter how long I've been doing this on Etsy, I can always learn a thing or two from my fellow artists!

• VictoryBags

Victoria Gray from VictoryBags says:

"Identify Your Ideal Customer" Hey Etsy, I'd love more articles on this. I struggle with it, and I know many others do as well.

• CattieCoyleDesigns

Cattie Coyle from CattieCoyleDesigns says:

Great article and advice. I too struggle with the whole branding thing, but have come to view it as having a consistent look throughout your online presences (prob not grammatically correct) - blog, website, Etsy shop, FB etc. Which I am totally guilty of NOT doing! Working on it though... Another thing I think is difficult is "identifying your customer" and "what problem do you solve for them". As a photographer, my customers could be pretty much anybody (for the art photos and some of my cards, other cards are def bought by animal lovers). Do you you have to "super-nichify" your work in order to be successful?

• CSCPaintedCreations

Cindy from CSCPaintedCreations says:

I think people are looking at branding to much in a corporate way. I feel a brand is a cohesive theme. An attractive color, name, even a something as simple as a font (type). I guess my training in graphic design has tought me that and it doesn't have to be corporate, it's a visual expression of your work or you. People don't know you and human nature makes us go by first impression. By being on the internals defining a cohesive theme will help people remember and identify you, with you. This was a great little artical and put information into prospective it will make me take a second look and see what I can change to improve traffic to my shop. Thank you.

• spalenka

Greg Spalenka from spalenka says:

There is a misconception that a brand is a look, style, design, logo, or other fashion statement that represents your business or personal vision. Your brand is an extension of your authenticity, your purpose. When an individual’s core purpose and talent are synergistically aligned their brand can become a “transcendent symbol.” This is about power in the truest sense of the word. Know thyself. The world will recognize it too. I teach a workshop called Artist As Brand at colleges and universities around the US, and I assure you when creators understand that their brand is an extension of their purpose there is a transformation that takes place throughout their entire marketing strategy.

• rsgirard

Stephanie Girard from LarkRoadRhymes says:

I have been working on my titles and tags but I had not even thought about my target audience or branding. Thanks for the suggestions!

• saulebaltaa

Liga from DIYDigitalStudio says:

Thank You for advice!

• shoda

Kimberly Huestis from PorcelainAndStone says:

Great read! Always motivating. I too used to think of branding as a big corp. word, but it is really becoming norm for a lot of up-and-coming artisan makers working on their personal brand identity. You are creating something uniquely you! Of course it will be branded with your creative touch that people will only find with you. It is a wonderful word! (Now I'm feeling all soapbox-y) I believe what it really means to do is make sure you focus on your craft, and not stray too far off the path of what your loving fans go to you for. There is plenty of growth around the idea, so definitely not meant to constrain! Loved the article :)

• 0namesleft

Robin Bellomy from 0namesleft says:

Great article for new sellers and seasoned. Its good for us to remind ourselves of the basics every now and then, helps to make sure that we are still on the right track.

• alanazak

Alana Owens from oZdOinGItagaiN says:

I really enjoyed the information and thought provoking questions. Thanks for taking time to share with all of us! I wish for you much more success!

• jbmanning1

JB Manning from JBMVphotography says:

Great blog entry especially being a photographer myself! And new to Etsy!

• andreaciske

andrea ciske from aciskedesign says:

Thanks Amy for a clear, concise article. I especially liked the examples given in each strategy as they related to Seth's shop. It made it a little easier to "see" my shop.

• littlelambshop

Loba Mah from littlelambshop says:

Very interesting article. So much to learn. Thank you.

• netbarb

Barbara Reinstein from netbarb says:

I think of branding as being recognizable through style. I have people tell me that when they see one of my pieces out and about, they just "know who made it". That's easier in my town, than on platform like ETSY. In the case of art I never mix up daVinci with Jackson Pollack. Each has a brand. Anyway that's how I think of it. I really enjoyed the article, and am going to research some of the tips you gave.

• SouthernAsSweetTea

Lauren from SouthernAsSweetTea says:

Thanks for the article! Good points on branding :-)

• carolwagner1

Carol Wagner from VintageBettyLuke says:

Will work on my about page! Thanks

• sweetgumballinc

sweetgumballinc Gumball from sweetgumballinc says:

thank you for these suggestions! every.little.bit.helps! xo

• pinegroveleathr

Rod Boyes from PinegroveLeather says:

Whilst I greatly appreciate Etsy's marketing suggestions, what I would really really like, and find very hard to find, is some sample financial plans for a craft business. A sample profit & loss sheet, cash flow forecast and a time plan which demonstrates a sensible way to split your time between making stuff, marketing it and... everything else! My ever loving wife is supporting me while I set up my craft business, but she's rightly expecting me to be able to start contributing to the mortgage and bills again at some point. I need to show her, and myself, that it can all work. Many thanks, Roddy

• rp59

renee pourhadi from isabellabluedesigns says:

Being very new, about a year, to Etsy, I think it's important to think about branding. I know what I like and brands are important to me. I think when someone finally recognizes your art, your pieces, or you, ...you've made it! I'm all over the place, (I need to focus) yet all of my pieces include one thing. They ALL have it. Over all, I didn't do so bad this year, but I am for sure hoping to do much better next, and reading articles like this will only help me increase that probablility!

• cherrydalealpacas

Denise Barritt from AlpacaGlamour says:

Brilliant advice thank you. My shop is now called Alpaca Glamour.

• beadloverskorner

Gari Anne from beadloverskorner says:

Great info and article! I spent a lot of time and energy last year working on perfecting my pictures and listing more items, which really helped in getting into more treasuries. But recently I have been redoing tags and titles and that has really helped. I think it is a continual thing to always be improving, challenging yourself to take it to another level. p.s. I love Star Wars and Sci-Fi as well, and started a few months ago to incorporate my Sci-Fi love into more of my handmade items!

• studioonmozart

Jessica from StudioOnMozart says:

Haha--it helps to get your name out there too if you're featured in a blog :)

• kathymarescomatthews

Kathy Maresco Matthews Stemke from VintageMemoryJewelry says:

Thanks for the info. I'm brand new to Etsy and have alot to learn. kathy

• WhiteVorona

elena hohlova from elenahohlova says:

Thanks for your text! Often added to favorite products and shop, but my sales only 6: (

• CSKrafts

CSKrafts from CSKraft says:

Thank you for great article with useful advice.

• byDelirium

Angela from DeliriumAccessories says:

Great article thank you so much!

• sethkushner1

Seth Kushner from SethKushnerPrints says: Featured

• susansphotoart

Susan Stone from susansphotoart says:

A wonderful article. If everyone can take away one think from the article and spin it to their personal 'brand or market' it should increase you views and sales.

• YESTERDAYTRUNK

Nelly from YESTERDAYTRUNK says:

Branding is not a good word. You need to call it something else.

• paintrobot

Ant and Frog from AntnFrog says:

Wonderful article!

• patspottery

Pat Parker from PatsPottery says:

To me, part of "branding", is choosing a logo and using it on ALL your online and paper . Websites, Etsy banner, Facebook, flicker, Blog, avatar, business cards, all the same, recognizable as you. And don't keep changing them:>)

• Aprons2tie4

Lynn Dee from Aprons2tie4 says:

Very timely article for me, as I am just starting to look at revamping my little apron shop.Thankyou!

• laantigua

Angela Marcos from LaAntigua says:

We are all different and so are our shops and the items we sell. For some, branding might be a very cohesive look with everything tied together, for others, branding may be exactly the opposite. There is that style known as "eclectic" that may be one's way and many other people's way. To me, branding is a tricky thing, as a person might get lost in some other people's ideas. The main goal is to reach out to those who like you and what you have to offer, those who are somehow like you, those who share a certain vision or approach.

• SunflowerGlassworks

Mary Datwyler from SunflowerGlassworks says:

Branding works - and it doesn't always have to be formal and precise but it does need to be consistent. My customers know me for my company name and something of a sunflower on a card, tag or even a tablecloth (and I change the sunflower image as I see fit). Some remember my first name but most (especially at shows) will say, "oh, hi Sunflower lady, I was looking for you" and I'm okay with that. It's a lot easier to remember (or spell) than my personal name. When they are looking for me they can remember my website which takes them right into my Etsy shop.

• VintageGirLNY

Lindsay from VintageGirLNY says:

Great REad!

• CreatiKnit

CreatiKnit from CreatiKnit says:

Thank you Seth for letting us take a peek into your world! Such helpful information!

• HappyCampers12345

Theresa Ott from HappyCampers12345 says:

. . . . something to think about . . . Thanks!

• hatcherydesigns148

PJ from pjhatchdesigns says:

Thank you for the helpful advice.

• stick2basics

Fernando Trejo from BiaForceDesigns says:

Great Advice!!. There are still a few things I need to consider from your post...

• TeepetalsDesigns

Tee from TeepetalsDesigns says:

This is very inspiring and helpful. I will definitely try using these tips

• rutheshop

Ruth Claydon from MothandMagpie says:

For me, branding is permission to be true to myself. Its finding that style, colour and mood in which I feel utterly comfortable, relaxed and inspired. Its the look I WANT to create, not the insipid compromise I feel I ought to be making. Bit by bit I'm building a shop I'd want to linger in, but it takes courage to nail your colours to the mast. Its taking a deep breath and culling the products that aren't quite true to my dream. The next step? Sorting my banner out!

• WestCoastModern

WestCoastModern from WestCoastModern says:

Another very new shop here, vintage focused, and appreciate the helpful information and insights. Still getting my head around how SEO works and how to increase my shop's visibility and findability. Having your store well stocked and constantly keeping it active are also very important, from what I've read on Etsy, and are things I need to work on. Branding is just as critical for vintage sellers as it is for artisans; Seth's comments above about branding are bang on. There is not as much competition in selling vintage as there is in handmade, but the challlenges of establishing a unique identity and presence on Etsy are just as real and significant. Opening the shop is just the first step; then the real work begins!

• summersavagecrawford

Summer Savage Crawford from Savagefleececouture says:

Great advice. I will work on these things to help my shop be seen.

• erikareboucas

Erika Reboucas from littlebigtopstudio says:

Identify customer base - check branding - check (at least for now) check out the competition - check get into the art of search - Oh, boy that one is giving me a run for my money. I think I have the basic idea but my stats tell me otherwise. It looks like it should be fairly straight forward - descriptive titles and tags - but I really feel like I may be missing something. I just wish I could get this down so I could focus on my art, rather than the art of searching.

• JessicaBartlett8

Jessica Bartlett from GraphicsbyStella says:

All these articles are always so helpful, I feel like etsy really wants me to succeed!

• Dogdohr

Joanne Dohr from Dogdohr says:

I have a unique brand, just limited customers. But always willing to learn more.

• LandonField

Robin and Merle Van Houten from LandonField says:

We took a branding approach with our name by hiding our mission statement inside the name. In our case, all of our products are 100% recycled so we're keeping glass out of the land fill. Landon Field is a play on land-unfilled and sounds pretty classy as well. When people figure it out, they feel like they're in on the secret and it makes it easier for them to remember us. We've gotten great responses from it!

• zhuoma

zhuo ma from zhuoma says:

Great article!

• deonnalynn

Deanna Medley from PeaceByPeaceJewelry says:

This was very informative! Thank you for enlightening me!! Good luck to everyone!! Peace Always, Deanna Peace By Peace Jewelry

• zhuoma

zhuo ma from zhuoma says:

Great advice!!

• alankarshilpa

Dita Basu from alankarshilpa says:

I feel uncomfortable too with the word "branding" , in the sense that it correlates with corporate terms. I am an independent artist. I think the word "style" is more appropriate. Each individual has a unique style which echoes in her mission, vision , way of life as well as her creation. If we can define it, stay true to it, it will manifest in our created art too. I agree with Greg Spalenka. That comment resonates with what I think and wanted to say too. Any way, Thank you for this informational, thought provoking article. Dita.

• BachsCrafts

Susan Bachmeier from BachsCrafts says:

"Branding" is a problem with my eclectic tastes. It's hard to setting into one product...

• crown1001

P from MaxplanationPhotos says:

Great article

• jennib10

Jenni B from BInYourBonnet says:

Great tips! I have found that social media really works for me. I believe my readers are like-minded and tend to enjoy other links I post, other than what I'm promoting from my shop.

• OldWorldPetPortraits

Carol Lew from OldWorldPetPortraits says:

Great advice, as usual. My shop is fairly new, but thanks to Etsy words of wisdom, I had a good idea about how to set things up and i have been doing pretty well. I read the articles religiously and regularly discover something I can do to improve my shop. A recent article led me to explore teams, and something someone said on one team triggered a way I realized I could improve my photos. This article and the comments confirmed another approach I'm trying to tell my story. Thanks for the support.

• SultanasCrochet

Sultana Muzikir from SultanasCrochet says:

Thank you Amy for such an informative article. I haven't worked on my About page yet because I wasn't quite sure how to approach it. The branding issue has been a dilemma for me also. You have taken these concepts and explained them in a very concise and clear manner which has inspired me to get my About page up and running and work on my branding too! Thank you!!!

• StarTribe

Penelope Neil from StarTribe says:

Okay I'm saying this as constructively as I can, but guys- you gotta get over this branding thing. Stop seeing it as a big bad corporation's way of hooking you in. You might be surprised to hear this, but ALL businesses, no matter how small, have a brand. And guess what? You're a business! The moment you decided you would use your time and talent to generate your own income, you became a business. Face that reality now- for years I refused to see myself as a business because businesses were greedy and heartless- and it did me no favours. The sooner you look to business strategy and use it to help you, the better. If you really struggle with the idea of 'brand', try instead to see it as 'identity'. What is your shop's identity? If it were a person, what would they be like? How do they dress? What town would they live in? Are their any celebrities who exhibit a similar persona? This article has great ideas- though not so much for me, as I already do all of them! I heartily agree that number 1 - find your market - is crucial. I've been telling my blog readers this for years, it forms the base for everything you do from the backgrounds you use, the wording of your listings, the patterns on your fabric and charms in your jewelry. Sometimes it can take selling things for a while to determine who your customer is- in my other jewelry shop over the years I've learned my shoppers like it dark and crusty, with chain bits, raw stones and plenty of texture; they like crosses and crowns, roses and hearts, buttons and birds. So I know if I make a pair of earrings that feature these things, they'll sell. But I'm also an independent artist with her own unique vision, so I don't go churning out the stuff that sells, I just take it into account and use it to guide me. That's using the business strategy for the powers of good.

• FreshRetroGallery

Elizabeth Knaus from FreshRetroGallery says:

Good advice. I enjoy reading the about page of a seller at the point of making a purchase. It's a nice way to get some background on what I'm buying.

• ablackpepper

ablackpepper from ablackpepper says:

Really sound points of view to consider as a seller on Etsy. The environment is highly competitive and having a uniform way to stand out from the crowd is quite challenging. I am inching my way towards more sales and customer base. These tips come in handy. Thanks.

• finefeatheredfinds

Anita DiRenzo from infinefeathers says:

Fantastic advice! Thank you.

• treasureleen

Janice Kraubner from treasureLeen says:

The 'branding' concept really spoke to me. I have some pondering to do!

• HandEmanCreations

E-man from HandEmanCreations says:

Another very helpful article! Asking myself these questions has not only helped me learn more about my "brand", but it has helped to inspire another item I'd like to create. Double bonus, Thanks!

• kanchalee

Ann Ngamdamronk from symmetwee says:

Thank you for such a helpful article! It motivates me to really work on my branding.

• busyspinningthread

fezmade from busyspinningthread says:

Thank you for the advice! I like the idea of thinking about my target market and making something especially for her!

• HowlingHuskyBakery

Jamie Gregory from HowlingHuskyBakery says:

Great tips! I know that my branding needs some polish but I think it will be an ongoing work in progress.

• Oneofafeltkind

Carol from FeltPIZZAZZers says:

Very helpful article! Also enjoyed reading all the great comments. Taking lots of info away with me. Thank you! :)

• jacquelinema1
  • juliaheartfelt

Julia from juliaheartfelt says:

After a year on etsy this article came just as I need to rethink my shop and how I've progressed and where I'm going. A gentle reminder but how timely. Oh how I would love people to recognize my products but I do hate that word branding. Thanks for the prodding. Back to work ; )

• sarahcolby2

sarah colby from sarahssilver says:

Really good points to think about and put to good use. Thanks, great article!!

• naughteebits

naughteebits from NaughteeBits says:

Great refresher, thank you!

• Readesign

Kathy Read from Readesign says:

Thank you for this article. Lots of things to think about. It's always good to stop and think about where you want your shop to go and to whom you are targeting for customers.

• RepurposeCouture

Marla from RepurposeCouture says:

I can use all the help I can get! Thanks so much!

• MachineEmbroidery4U

MachineEmbroidery4U from MachineEmbroidery4U says:

Thanks for all the useful information!

• meresayss

Meredith from WitsyKnitsy says:

What a great article. It is hard for me to get my products and site out there too, but maybe because I'm not using a few of these tips. Thanks for helping us out!

• pierrmorgan

Pierr Morgan from pierrmorgan says:

Thanks, Amy! Always something to consider. I especially like #4. Before I had whimsical titles, mostly to keep my products straight visually in my own mind. But I've been noticing the longer, more specific titles make more sense (cents too!)

• pinkgloves2

Cindy Austin from pinkgloves2 says:

I love Etsy., and i find these articles so helpful and informative. I've been on Etsy for a while, but never really took the time to read the suggestions until lately. ... , and when i finally did, i found them extremely well done and relevant. Cindy

• curiouscreaturesshop

Larissa from curiouscreaturesshop says:

Great advice! Handmade products are unique and special in every sort of way, being designed and touched by the artist and not a random factory person. And to clearly define handmade from homemade you need to create a cohesive brand that is unique to your style. This way you can rest assure customers will also be willing to pay more for your products.

• LillysCottage

LillysCottage from LillysCottage says:

Thanks! Great advice

• ASHWoodshops

Alan Huey from ASHWoodshops says:

Nice article and always such a great refresher to remind us to check in on all of the parameters of what we are doing, why we do it, who are target customers are, what we look like, why people should remember us, how they find us, how well do we take care of their needs in order for them to want to come back, and then, how they find us again. I, like several others really dislike the terms "branding" and "creating your own aesthetic" even though all of the above may make up what I believe the terms mean. I don't know, but sometimes these terms get thrown around and sound like someone just memorized the trendy terms from business school, and really have no idea what they are talking about. They are extremely overused in my view. I mean no offense to anyone, but even here on Etsy, the terms get thrown around and many peoples eyes glaze over while reading them. Don't get me wrong, my day job for the last 30 plus years has been business development, predominantly in the area of sales and marketing. So I am well versed in the concepts, I just don't like the way the terms are used today. They become cliche and less than really helpful to the beginning business person, unless you have the background to read between the lines and understand what is written. Otherwise, they are just confusing terms.

• rscproducts

Norma Gibbs from NormaCreativeJewelry says:

Great article. I love Etsy. This makes since. Keep the great blogs coming :-)

• Doodaadame

Doyle and Terri Johnson from EarthGoods4TheSpirit says:

Sound Advice, Branding and Tags are the most important part of etsy, I would add my two cents and say that patience is probably the greatest virtue. When you first start out you agonize over the first sale and when things slow up it can lead to despair. I just keep on creating and experimenting with new media and design, adding inventory and assuring myself that if I don't give up, sooner or later recognition will come as I hone my craft. As I grow I remake old inventory and rewrite descriptions to reflect what I have learned. Also the Forums are a powerful place to learn about selling, as well as the Online Labs. Whenever I get a chance I review old Labs and search forums for lessons learned by experienced sellers. There is gold to be mined in the Forums and Labs. Thanks for a great article!

• iammieCLAYshop

iammieCLAYshop from iammieCLAYshop says:

Thanks for the tips!

• ScowlingOwl

ScowlingOwl from ScowlingOwl says:

thanks for the "behind the scenes" glimpse of an artist setting up shop. Great reminders for me.

• grandmagrizzly

Roanne from GrandmaGrizzlys says:

Usually, if you don't make a plan as to where you want to go and how to get there, you probably won't like where you end up! Great article and tips!

• TDIN

Michell from MICHELLDESIGN says:

Thank you for the information. Great advice :)

• makemesmilejewelry

cheryl wagner from MakeMeSmileJewelry says:

Thank you again..I am so new at this and learning so much...doing pretty Great w/most of this...Have to work on my Banner it's cute although not my brand.....you here on Etsy help us all tremendously..Thank you!!!

• vasilinkas

Vasilinka from VasilinkaStore says:

Wonderful. Thank you for such a great article.

• MahoganyWayMama

Darcel Harmon from TheMahoganyWay says:

Great article. I have such a long ways to go with all four points. One step and day at a time. I'm hoping to have zones in on all four points in the next 3-6 months.

• TheCatsMeowAntiques

TheCatsMeowAntiques from TheCatsMeowAntiques says:

Hmmm...how do I figure out a unifying theme for cool antiques and vintage items? Something to think about.

• babybaha

Zanda Baha from ZanziBach says:

I know I still have a long way to go, but I am learning. Thank you!

• cquis13
  • flutterbeforeyou

Susan Dietz from flutterbeforeyou says:

I found this to be a Great and helpful article. I enjoy learning helpful tips to make my shoppe more successful. Thank You!

• aleksandrapatova

Aleksandra P. from alexmalexdesigns says:

You nailed it! Very useful steps, will recheck and redo everything following them :) Thank you.

• LissetteSarti

Lissette Sarti from EllEssCreations says:

this is very helpful :) especially to use shops that are just starting out! thank you.

• meropisart

Meropi Toumbas from MeropisArtJewelry says:

nice article, thanks for sharing

• DeepSilence

Sonja Bikić from DeepSilence says:

Interesting

• ile1974

Ilenia from ile1974 says:

Great article! I'm working on these suggestions.

• JustForGiggles

Wanda M from JustForGiggles says:

I'm shapin it up, Amy! Give me a little time and I'll make this WERK!!! hahaha!!! Seriously, that was a great read with some fabulous advice. Thank you!

• alisonwalsh

Alison Walsh from alisonwalsh says:

Great advise especially about using all the tags. I find it difficult to direct people to my site and will definitely use this advice to work on this.

• DedaShop

DedaShop from DedaShop says:

Great tips! thanks.

• normandykitchen

Fidelma Cox from NormandyKitchen says:

Your article distilled what we all need to do regardless of the brand identity of the word 'brand'. It is an adjective like any other and has different 'identity baggage' for each individual. You remind us that the tools are there and need to be used to their optimum effect - also sometimes we try to sell items that really no one wants however they are dressed shabily or luxuriously. The essence of what we are selling is the most important, that I feel is the 'brand' that is the most difficult thing to ascertain and the most difficult thing to communicate. The rest what ever you want to call it, it window dressing.

• Tarahawken1

Tara Hawken from ThePolkadotCaravan says:

Great article, it really makes you think about your shop. I think I know my target market, but its hard to make a cohesive shop when you have so many brilliant ideas running through your head wanting to get out...I know I wanto branch out and let people see my love of vintage too, but that might not flow with the handmade items in my shop. I know some people have two shops and this could be an answer for this. From reading a few other posts I have changed some of my tags and make sure I have used them all, and I have it iced an increase in people visiting me through my shop stats. Thanks again, this posts are really helping me.

• MarisaSilvijo

Marisa and Silvijo from Lunartics says:

Thank you for your article, really helpful for us,.. newbies.

• idroogendijk

irene droogendijk from FabFarOK says:

Thanks, great article! Only one thing; I dont have an About button or section.. Is that because I am from Europe? Can it be that Etsy in the States uses different sections for shops? I checked some european shops and none of them have the About button.

• Jugosa

Jugosa Poliakov from Jugosa says:

Thank you for such a great article.

• lifeartdesigns

Janie from lifeartdesigns says:

Good golly, I still struggle with all of this, not just the branding concept. When I start to write a discription, my mind goes blank. Same thing with tags. And of course I will always be trying to better my photos...Great article for this though, thanks!

• FeltHappiness

Juliane Gorman from FeltHappiness says:

Hi Irene, I don't have an About ('cause not gotten around to that yet) but I believe that there is the option in Europe (at least there is in the UK -- which is sort of straddles two places ;) I believe that you would type the following to access/fill out your About Page -- http://www.etsy.com/your/shops/FabFarOK/about

• ByYolanda

Yolanda from ByYolanda says:

Great article!!! Thank you very much.

• dillydallydoodle

Lesley McDougall from MehndiGlass says:

Great article, lots of interesting suggestions. I am finding my own "branding" to be a puzzle that is slowly coming together in pieces. It's challenging at times, but as I get further into the puzzle the overall picture of how I want to represent myself and my art.is becoming clearer. I am sponging up all this great information from my peers and working toward several goals to get noticed. Thank you.

• kimgerbel

Kim Belleavoine from RILightBottles says:

I'm going to try these suggestions. I do wonder "can people find my work?" , " Have I made it easy to search & find?" I normally sell at craft shows and do quite well. This, selling behind the scenes, where they cannot meet the crafter, is a different world for me. Thanks for the help!!

• WhiteCrossDesigns

Jordan White from WhiteCrossDesigns says:

Great article, and how wonderful for Seth that he could be featured right away! He's off to a great start -- welcome!

• WhiteCrossDesigns

Jordan White from WhiteCrossDesigns says:

Also want to add about "branding" -- I've found that, even when I think I'm designing a new, completely different bag/purse, something always comes through that ties it's style to all the other designs as well. On WCD, it's all about upscale sleekness and durability, along with usefulness. On my other shop, MeiMei WhiteCross, it surprisingly still comes through in my Euopean/Asian designs, although it wasn't intentional. So . . . . . . I guess this was the long way around of saying that, if you are true to your craft (pardon the cliche), branding happens without any major effort on your part! Jordan :))))))

• Fancythatcreation

Tabitha Willey from Fancythatcreation says:

That was very helpful thank you and have a wonderful day

• learpo

Leonor from ethnicadornment says:

I think that one of the keys to succes in etsy is having an specific line of product, or that is what worked for me!

• zoeysbeautybox

Ginger Windham from GeminiFlyII says:

Thank you for this read! Great yet simple ideas that I will put into good use!

• outerlimitsgallery

outerlimitsgallery from OuterLimitsGallery says:

Great article, very helpful.

• LauraAndErin

Erin AndLaura from EguaLondon says:

I have learned a lot of things since I have joined Etsy on December, the articles about marketing and branding such as this one are of great value for me. While I sew I watch some of the on line labs, so my Spanish-London accent is becoming Brooklynizised , if I may say so, many thanks!!!

• elksongjewelry

Cherie Elksong from ElksongJewelry says:

Lots of useful & pertinent information; I've never really checked out other sellers "social media buttons", will do some exploring there. What I'd really like to see addressed in marketing strategies, tho, is how to better compete against the ever-increasing hordes of re-sellers on Etsy, some of whom have HUGELY successful shops. Once you have identified your customer, how do you convince them to purchase your handmade items, which are always going to be over-priced compared to mass-produced work from India or Turkey or China?

• FoxyGloves23

Marie Cashin from MEmbroideries says:

feeling that you can create a "brand" for little crafty things is a tough one for me

• KMayCreations

Kristen May from KMayCreations says:

Not only is this a great artlcle, but the comments also have a lot of great tips and advice. In my mind, my Etsy shop, like my life, is a journey, not a destination (except of course, to those who find the perfect gift there!). A neverending work in progress, always looking for ways to grow and improve. Thanks for all the tips!

• BinduDesigns

Bindhurani Saju from BinduDesigns says:

I am also at lost with the word branding. What does that really mean? I create things using crochet hook and yarn. I cannot say the stitches or the colors my own. Then How can I brand it? Etsy shops are usually micro businesses. How can a micro business make enough income to provide for a single person? That is what I need to find out. With each seller success article, I am trying to implement the ideas in to the shop. Hopefully, one day, I will be able to create enough income to provide myself through the store.

• Tarajamu

Mary Montgomery from Tarajamu says:

I've been an Etsy seller since 2008 and I have learned a lot. Branding is super important. Just as important as the Origionality as the One of A Kind nature of making amazing things to sell in ones shop. It's not creating a cohesive look good feel great brand that I struggle with. It's finding the money to really promote and market my shop the way I'd like too. I struggle with not enough time in the day issues. My studio is organized and neat. That took over four years to accomplish. My work, I've been told is wonderful. I have work in several shops and galleries in NY, NJ and PA. But, after paying all the bills and buying supplies to keep the work going there is liitle left over to promote and market my business they way I would like. Everything is a matter of priority. First things first. They tell me that hope floats. Every chance to show is a chance to sell.

• Tarajamu

Mary Montgomery from Tarajamu says:

Branding is just as important as the One of A Kind items that sell in a shop. It's the very nature of the uniquess that sets [you/me] apart from everybody else. I've been selling on Etsy since 2008 and my greatest struggle is with time. I teach, I write, I make, I have a family etc. keeping one's actions in line with their goals are equally as important as ones brand identity. Knowing where you want to go, telling people what you want them to think and being as specific as possible are my top three things. Finding the time and money to make it all happen well those are my top two struggles. Anybody know where I can find a rich uncle? Once you decide who you are, you immediately know what you are not.

• hayleypearcey

hayley from BabysGotCakeGifts says:

Great story, The target market was an interesting point for me. When i first started I thoguht my target market was people buying gifts for friends children but the more I talk to my customers through social media, etsy and at Craft Fairs I realise it's actually mother's buying things for their own young kids and babies. It's always good to know your target market especially when creating new pieces. Thanks very much for the endless helpful articles and good luck in your new shop Seth.

• melissahager

Melissa Hager from melissahager says:

Great tips and advice, thanks so much for sharing!

• gailanders3

Gail Anderson from gailanders3 says:

Thanks!! Great sales to you!!

• gailanders3

Gail Anderson from gailanders3 says:

Thanks....great sales to you!!

• ThreeBarDGifts

Monica from ThreeBarDGifts says:

Thanks for this article! Lots of good advice! Good tips from the comments as well!

• teall12

C and T from CandTCustomLures says:

Appreciate the info in this article as we try to get our etsy store up and going. Thanks

• thegreatredpanda

Kat Hunter from DigitalConfectionery says:

I think it's important to for sellers to understand that you can have a shop that presents a "brand", or a style as I call it, in the way that you list and show products to your customers WITHOUT limiting your creative process. Recently through the research of competitors shop sites I noticed that my shop lacked that. I worked on presenting my products in a more cohesive manner with a unified look. I immediately noticed the difference and my customers did too. My sales have increased and sold for more money than before.

• melirocket

Melissa Huddlestun from BlackHeartAcc says:

Great advice; it's something to think about, I've been trying to wrap my head around this for awhile.

• bariand

Arina Kushnir from bariand says:

Thank you for really great advise!

• emilianapatriotou

Emiliana Patriotou from CushionsandMore says:

Great advice! Once I changed the title descriptions of my pillows from artistic to more relevant ones, the viewings tripled! All tips above are indeed useful!

• joycekropewnicki

Joyce Kropewnicki from CozyComforts10 says:

Good advice. I spend a lot of time searching quilt categories. There is a lot of talent and interesting shops. Visit mine and offer some insight. Thanks.

• myraclegivens

Myracle Givens from WhyrdozBoutique says:

Very helpful thank you :)

• donavanspader

Donavan Spader from TWEENTIME says:

I like these little articles because I'm a "newbie". Even though I don't quite understand much of it, I at least glean some info.

• Buckysfinds

Bucky from BuckysFinds says:

This is excellent advice! Very helpful thanks so much!

• swaggjewelry

April McGee-Riess from RawLuxGems says:

Really helpful advice. I passed it on to all of my creative friends. Thanks!!!

• MiaSueDesign

Bettina Roth from MiaSueDesign says:

Great article. Thanks a lot !!

• violetinthesnow

Padma Devi from PadmaDevi says:

Thanks! I just set up my shop, and this is very helpful advice.

• TheSpiceOfLight

Jordan Langford Haselier from TheSpiceOfLight says:

These are such great points. THey seem obvious, now that I've read them...thanks!

• NinaRaizel

Nina from NinaRaizel says:

Great ideas! Thanks so much!

• Lindsaywhimsy

Lindsay from Lindsaywhimsyart says:

Thank you very much Amy! Great advice.

• mirta

mirta from mipluseddesign says:

Great article, this was very helpful! Thank you.

• sistersteel

Sandy Baker from Sistersteel says:

Always find these articles helpful. I just recently made changes to my about page but, will see if I can add to my tags. Thanks ;)

• daffysdream

Daffy from daffysdream says:

Thank you for sharing a Great article!

• gayriipinen

Charles Locke from silverwearbobbles says:

I find that the post help just as much as the article!!! Thank you everyone, for the great advice.

• MamacitaStudios

Noelani from MamacitaStudios says:

• noongning

Ning Pratoomsup from NoongNing says:

• valerievandermeulen

Valerie Vandermeulen from OEPSIE says:

great advice, thank you for sharing

• sandrasquirrel

Charlotte Martin from LaPetiteBow says:

thanks so much for good good insights. i am soooo new to this Etsy world but trying to do my best. i dont know what direction to go in but i am going to stay confident that my creativity will continue to come out. i think at this time a am all over the place and there is a reason for that. i want a little shop or be like a store front. i dont know if that sould right but i like the idea of a shop of many things. what do you guys and gals think. any good advice for me

• xabid

Abid Nevesinjac from xabid says:

Nice blog post for etsy newbie like me. Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess i read it on time as i am just starting to organize my store :) Feel so excited to get it ready for promotions soon

• JustineJewellery

Justine Chabińska from JustineWorld says:

Great advice, Thank You :)

• CatKi

Caterina Kouk from FifiCo says:

Very helpful article! Thank you!

• casefase

Those Lyda's from CaseFase says:

I've just tweaked all of my titles for my iPhone cases and made sure to use up all of my tags and my Etsy views have increased by approx. 20% in only a day. Will it translate into sales?...exposure usually does. Time will tell! Thanks for the advice!! Jared

• Shanay8625

Shanay Worthy from ShanaysCreation says:

Thanks for sharing.

• ORINewYork

Kaori from ORINewYork says:

Last year, I was overwhelmed by the idea of branding and didn't achieve much with it. After reading this, I am not as threatened by the idea. Thank you for the great article!! So much work to do!

• jafys

Jafy's Jewelry Creations from JafysJewelry says:

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

• thevicagirl

VaLon Frandsen from thevicagirl says:

What good tips. It makes me really think about how to start of my new business I'm thinking about starting. Very helpful.

• judithdurnford

Judith from CreekLine says:

gr8 reading & comments.. get to it!

• TheArtofMom

JENNIFER Edwards from LivOutLoud5 says:

Incredibly Helpful!! Thank you!!!

• lesliedemarco

Leslie Demarco from CanineQuilts says:

Thank you so much for this advice. I just opened my shop last week and have learned so much and met so many great owners. Thanks for sharing.

• TwoStylishSisters

Aubrey and Nicole Goulet from TwoStylishSisters says:

Thanks for such a helpful article. Still new at this and need all the help we can get!

• EnglishShop

Eve from EnglishShop says:

Brilliant!

• LittleFrenchShop
  • Dogdohr

Joanne Dohr from Dogdohr says:

I will be adding new crafts soon to my shop, so checking the pricing on my competitors is a great idea! Don't worry, there is enough consumers for everyone!

• 77Fred43

Fred Milgram from FredsGraphicsPhotos says:

I realize that some “artisans” are totally nonconformists. They reject the everyday terms of the business world. As Penelope – Start Tribe said < You are now in business and business has its own language >. This makes it easier for business people to communicate with each other. Words are only sounds, but the meaning of those sounds should be universal for easy comprehension. Claiming that a word is disgusting is to disregard a part of normal discourse for a personal emotion. In operating a business there are a lot of words, sayings, clichés, descriptions, rude remarks, etc. that should be rolled off of ones back. If you take a word such as BRANDING to be offensive, how are you going to react when someone says your work is irrelevant? I have operated three businesses for 40 years while abstract painting was a pressure release in my little spare time. The point is that it is important to set goals. 1) Set a general direction of activities: Determine how you NEED your business to be established; First - contact an accountant and insurance agent about best financial and insurances needed. Secondly - on the advice of the accountant select an attorney to help you set up the proper legal entity for your best tax and liability advantage. { Sole Proprietor, LLC, PC, Type “S” Corp, Type “C” Corp} Third - Figure the best type of advertising and LOGO 2) From all this information you are now ready to develop a BUSINESS PLAN: I started with my Long term goals <>, then my shorter term goals, progressively to my extreme short term reachable goals. Where I wanted to be in say twenty five years: <> I wanted 20 workers, 2 estimators, 1 book-keeper, 4 trucks, 2 managers <> I wanted to save enough for retirement by age 60 Where I wanted to be in ten years: <> I wanted 15 workers 2 estimators, 1 bookkeeper, 2 trucks, 1 manager Where I wanted to be to be in five years: <> I wanted a standalone building, I wanted to be able to take 3 long weekend vacations Where I want to be today: <> Selecting my professional assisting staff ( Accountant, Lawyer, Insurance Agent, Printer, etc. ), Selecting my advertising and marketing programs, Soliciting customers With a professional approach; your “BRAND” will begin to show through as a serious business person. Now your best display of product will be the final touch to your particular identity. Pick a style that is general or specifically aimed to fit your comfort level. Give yourself and your presentation a chance to be noticed before changing, unless you get very trustworthy feedback that it needs to be altered. If you are not reaching the expected level of sales, don’t be afraid to change your presentation. That is also part of establishing your brand. If you are pre-prepared it will show in your presentation and the display of your products. You will have the time to create and {DO your MOST IMPORTANT ACTIVITY} day-to-day bookkeeping. All you need to do is a cash-in cash out list (checkbook register) your accountant will do the necessary number placement on the correct forms. Create a general ledger spreadsheet that separates your expenses by category for ease of visual examination. I hope I have been on topic.

• BernieRosserPhotos

Bernie Rosser from BernieRosserPhotos says:

Thanks for the article and insights.

• 77Fred43

Fred Milgram from FredsGraphicsPhotos says:

I did not mention in the above post that I am Brand new to the electronic Techy world. My shop’ is called FredsGraphicsPhotos. Starting this business on paper, for me, would be easier than all these available Etsy applications. I am very adventurous therefore willing to learn and engage. Right now I am in the process of developing my shop as we share these good thoughts. Just using the methods I used in my previous businesses. By utilizing these blogs I will be up and running shortly. Thank you all for your suggestions and assistance.

• gracedmoments

Sue Taylor-Davidson from gracedmoments says:

Whoa! This article generated a great deal of interest, so that's a success in itself...branding makes me think of clean, crisp and clear messaging, whatever form it takes....thanks Seth, you are an artist!

• mariashacreaw

Maria Shacreaw from 162PENS says:

I am always looking for ways to improve my shop! These blogs always give me a little bit more to work with and think about. I have so many different interests and things that I love to create, having a single brand might be hard for me.

• smeys

Sarah Meys from MeysMadeCoolCrochet says:

These blogs are such a gift to a new Etsy seller such as myself. Thank you so much for your incredibly helpful advice.

• alisonsjewelrydesign

alison from AccentsByAlison says:

Great information! Helps to focus my shop's style.

• erikruvalcaba

Erik Ruvalcaba from Nerdfest says:

thanks for the great advice :)

• sleepyclegg

Lyndsey from inkydingo says:

Thanks for this, it's really useful. Just starting out and it never occurred to me to really try and get inside the head of my target audience, am off to apply some research methods and tweak listings - thank you!

• LadyBausch

Autumn Marie Bausch from LadyBauschDesigns says:

I think this is a very good article and that maybe I need to give my own etsy shop page a much needed re-work to direct customers and just in general let people know what my shop is about.

• JacyDesign

JacyDesign from JacyDesign says:

Great article with much useful info to get this shop moving...thank you so much! Peace, Harmony and Happiness

• tripathismriti

Smriti from DesiFabrics says:

Great advise. Thank you very much for sharing these small but important points.

• GeorgieGirlLLC

D George from GeorgieGirlLLC says:

Thank you for the helpful advise. It is always nice to go back and revisit your shop policies, profile and listing. Thanks again!

• MakoohnsDen

Melanie Fish from MakoohnsDen says:

I really like what Seth had to say in his post about "branding". As an artist, sure you can make stuff that looks like "what sells or is marketable" but it is probably not being true to what just comes out of you from your own experiences. I feel the same way, even though people in the real world want me to draw "whats popular", it just is not me. I am sticking with the brand I created and I will see where it leads... Thanks for the great article!

• thevelvetheart

Melanie Beth from thevelvetheart says:

Great points, thanks!

• liesbethvisscher
  • whimimsie

Emily Leaf says:

Good pointers;)

• petitdimanche

Julie Romero . from JulieRomeroParis says:

I will have to read this every morning before starting my hand works ! Thank you guys for this!

• margheritaarrighi

margherita arrighi from margheritaarrighi says:

Amy sei veramente una che sa ispirare la gente Amy you really are an inspire people

• Uvisions

Uvisions from PristineVisions says:

Thanks for the great tips. This really helps newbies such as myself.

• Klarabela

Klarabela from Klarabela says:

Something to think about!

• MrPimm

Meghan P from BustinCaps says:

Very helpful article. Thanks for all the advice. Im new to Etsy and it has seemed a little overwhelming. But I will put the advice from this article to use in developing my store. Cheers!

• pangeran02

Deva Prast from japancase says:

I am very pleased with articles and information, because of the meaning contained therein truly meaningful and useful for the development and advancement. Especially for me, a newcomer to the world online store. who still need a lot to learn and read. For a brilliant future. Thank you.

• aressa

aressa from OriginalBridalHanger says:

Great info...You never can read too much about how to make your shop better...

• Modrellrus

Laura Modrell from LKMJewelryDesigns says:

Appreciate the tips, great article. Looking forward to putting these in motion and get my jewelry selling.

• clajs

Myra Harding from clajs says:

Thanks for this clear, concise and easy to follow article. I can now see that I have lots of work to do but this makes it feel a little less daunting. Cheers

• kromerojones

Karina Romero Jones from MomentsbyKarina says:

Great Article and I think that Seth cannot describe it in a better way with such a outstanding words, each one of us has a brand in us and it will get slowly better and better every day with the input and the work that we put on each creation of us. As a newly that I'm on this site "Etsy" and having a business base in technology world, it is good to know that all of you are there with experience and willing to help. I Thank You all for your great advise. Cheers to you all members of the Etsy team!!!

• michellequarterschap

Michelle Quarters Chapman from RetroModHome says:

I just opened my shop this month. I've been feeling like I should have a specific brand and target audience but have been frustrated that I haven't really clarified what that is. There a so many pieces that I love creating. Your statement, "Brand development is a process that all companies and solopreneurs refine over time." has eased my anxieties. I will keep reminding myself that this is a process. Thank You!!

• CuteCheckout

Michelle Misayo from CuteCheckout says:

Beautiful article, there really is some good content! Michelle!

• sassyplanet

Carla Giesbrecht from SassyPlanetBoutique says:

Thank you for this information. I'm always in search of step by step actions to take for my shop to become more successful. It's nice that you pros are willing to share the goods! Thanks again.

• timginarachel3

Gina Huskey from MessyGs says:

Thank you for listing all of these tips that can help in selling our items and products online. I just re-opened my shop in 2012 and sales have been coming but very slowly. Learning how to add these tips will really help w/ drawing the customer's attention to my shop and what all I have to offer. It's been really frustrating at times and makes you feel like giving up your shop until you read all these articles on all this very helpful information. As far as Brand, I don't really have 1 particular so called brand. I'm creative and I'm always trying new things to add to my shop to see what sells well and what doesn't. It's like I'm in the experimental stage at the moment but what a fun stage it is. I love trying out different ways of making jewelry and believe I will eventually find my niche in something I love to make and what customer's truly want and love. Making the customer happy, easy to converse with and satisfied is my most important part of having the shop in the first place. Thanks again! Gina

• NirvanaRoad

Lisa from NirvanaRoad says:

My new mantra: "Organize, don’t agonize". Great post and tips. Thanks!

• SheilasBaskets

Sheila Sargent from SDSuniquelytheirown says:

thanks for the articles and blogs on Esty. I am wanting to set up my store, but am still learning on how and what? I am reading some articles first . Want to be and do the best I can do on here. Want to be Uniquely Different.

• SharkCandy

SharkCandy from SharkCandy says:

I loved this article, but have a question. The featured seller, even with an Etsy partner helping out, seems to only have had one sale. Any explanation for this?

• tattoodgrl

Carol Holum from BeadToLive says:

Thanks for the info - I am still working on my brand. There are a lot of good points here.

• GemdropsoftheFalls

GemdropsoftheFalls from GemdropsoftheFalls says:

We are always working on 1, 2 and 4 but #3 could use some more work. We feel like we're always evolving and trying to keep up - being in the fashion industry. We're confident in our jewelry because we make items that we would like to wear ourselves, but it does get overwhelming when you're competing with thousands of excellent sellers. Thanks for the advice!

• nedragale

Gale from Lookwhosbeading says:

Great advice

• AlexaJacobs1

Alexa Jacobs from alexasvintagefinds says:

• iglooi

jerry from iglooi says:

Thank you This article is very helpful for me I will try to do our best etsy is an attractive platform

• alexgu

Maria Gutiérrez from MariaHammocks says:

Good advices,I want my store to be successful, I invite you to visit my shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MariaHammocks

• roxtellomartins

Roxtello Martins from VishalGems says:

my shop is not working no products are showing .so no one visit my shop. Please help me Roxtello

208 days ago

• taddial

MADE IN ITALY from OLDITALIANDREAM says:

where are the 40 free listings that you promised if I would open a shop ?

54 days ago